PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Milsurp collecting

jerrbear
01-30-2014, 04:54
It seems every time I purchase another 03 or any other Milsurp rifle I am on the fence whether to restore it back to original or leave it as found. Since most all now are mixmasters and originals almost impossible to find. Often wonder how it will affect the value by changing things and who really knows how it was refurbished in the first place. Markings can give you some idea but you never know how many previous owners had it before and what they might have changed. For folks like JB & RTL as well as any of my gun collecting brothers here, have you pondered on this or what are your feelings.

aldo5468
01-30-2014, 08:30
No right, wrong or rules (except for a shooter, it must be safe), just whatever you want it be while you own it. A lot depends on its condition/appearance when you acquire it. Some years back, I bought an Remington 03A3 Greek return from CMP that had very good metal, with Grrek re-park, of course, and a virtually unused RA replacement barrel, but came with a pinned stock that was gouged, scratched and beat far beyond any hope of ever looking acceptable again. A pinned stock was correct for its receiver serialization timing, but I found a very nice bolted Remington stock with all good cartouches that matches the quality of the metal much better. Later found a like-new Keystone replacement C stock that's on it now. I got some correct R-marked small metal bits that were inexpensive, a small-bow trigger guard, and a cocking piece with correct knurling for its serialization timing. It will always be a mixmaster, but it's one I'm proud to have on my wall, and I believe worth more than what I would get if I sold it exactly as I bought it. Maybe someone, somewhere could refinish the barrel and receiver to look like the original greenish-gray coating, but just not worth it to me.

dave
01-30-2014, 10:34
I understand that greenish color is from age and application of oil & grease over time.

John Beard
01-30-2014, 10:06
It seems every time I purchase another 03 or any other Milsurp rifle I am on the fence whether to restore it back to original or leave it as found. Since most all now are mixmasters and originals almost impossible to find. Often wonder how it will affect the value by changing things and who really knows how it was refurbished in the first place. Markings can give you some idea but you never know how many previous owners had it before and what they might have changed. For folks like JB & RTL as well as any of my gun collecting brothers here, have you pondered on this or what are your feelings.

Whether one chooses to restore a rifle or leave as found is mostly a matter of personal preference. The most common situation I encounter is a mostly-original rifle having a few replacement parts, such as a safety lock, cutoff, bolt, and/or rear sight. I have no reservation about correcting these minor anomalies, since I have the research data to do so properly. I am only reversing what another person instigated. I generally avoid barrel replacement or refinishing, although I might engage in light touch-up to repair damage. And I despise fakery, such as fake cartouches or re-stamped barrel dates. But, I recognize that a fake cartouche is acceptable on a reproduction stock that is intended to deceive no one.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Major Tom
01-31-2014, 08:05
I have several old U.S. military rifles. I restored one awhile back; it was expensive and probably not worth what I put in it price-wise. All the other rifles I keep as purchased, but I admit, they are 90% correct. Usually, people who look at my collection do not comment on how correct they might be, but, rather how good they look. So, I would just keep your rifle 'as is'.

musketshooter
01-31-2014, 08:13
Go to Bruce Canfield's web site for an interesting read on this subject.