PDA

View Full Version : SRS request for new M1903

TDP0311
01-31-2014, 02:24
Anything in there for SA 1403516? I recently picked it up as a barreled action to turn into a 1903A1 to shoot in the Vintage Sniper match this summer.

Only distinguishing attributes are a Hatcher Hole, and it has been rebarreled with a very nice condition HS 2-44.

Thanks

Herschel
01-31-2014, 06:24
That number is not listed on my SRS data but it is in the midst of a bunch of 1903NM rifles.

TDP0311
01-31-2014, 09:35
Thanks for checking for me Herschel, I guess it will be a good fit for a replica USMC sniper! I was hoping to see if I could find plumber's table marks, but whoever sporterized it sanded that part of the barrel down for some reason.

A few photos of the rifle with the bolt and mag removed.

Herschel
02-01-2014, 09:02
TDP0311, I notice in the first photo that the receiver is drilled and tapped for a Lyman 48 receiver sight. On page 65 of THE '03 SPRINGFIELD RIFLE'S ERA, Clark Campbell says that beginning in mid-November 1924 NM 1903 Rifles Manufactured for DCM Sale were drilled and tapped during manufacture for the Lyman receiver sight. To me, this fact plus the serial number range of your rifle is strong circumstantial evidence that your rifle started out as a NM 1903. IMA it would be a good candidate for making a rifle for the vintage sniper rifle match.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-01-2014, 11:38
I agree, good candidate for your build. What are you going to use for a scope?

TDP0311
02-01-2014, 12:25
Jim, as of now it looks like I will be using the Chinertl. I would really like to be able to get a Unertl USMC Sniper, but the funds of a GI Bill using college student aren't in that ballpark! There is a local guy up here that makes repro USMC 1903A1s, and he has a civillian Unertl 8x that he had inscribed USMC SNIPER, at the next gun show I'm going to see what he wants for it. It has correct Unertl scope rings too, which is nice.

So far I have the barreled action pictured, and it does have a correct milled trigger guard and magazine. On the way I have a Keystone C stock with matching handguard (not sure if the USMC used them for 1903A1 snipers, but it was in great shape at a great price), appropriate SA rear sight and collar, standard front sight blade, and all the appropriate screws and bands for the year. The bolt is a SA 42 HO 24 replacement, and I'll be using the Steve Earle blocks.

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Jim in Salt Lake
02-01-2014, 07:30
I had problems keeping my front scope block from loosening. Had it silver soldered on, would recommend that.