PDA

View Full Version : Legit HP Barrel Markings?

islandhopper
02-06-2014, 07:19
They look good to me, but wanted opinions from those who know better. Your thoughts are appreciated.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/islandhopper11/1911%20Barrel/HP_zps30ee3bd7.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/islandhopper11/1911%20Barrel/HPlug_zpsa6afdfd6.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/islandhopper11/1911%20Barrel/HPbottomIII_zps2c554dbc.jpg

Duane Hansen
02-06-2014, 07:29
Definately looks a bit weird but I'm not going to say it's not real. I've seen some that were struck a couple times that look a bit sketchy too. If you magnified all of the HP markings and put them side by side, you would see lots of differences.

islandhopper
02-06-2014, 07:48
Thank you very much. I appreciate the input. Is there a particular feature that stands out as strange to you? For me, each and every one seems slightly different. Some have longer legs on the H, some have no legs, some are double bounced if not more, etc... I did do a rough measurement of the markings and can post the size if anyone wishes. I have more experience with Garands than 1911s, and I have for the last few years been hesitant to post specific details because it seems more and more reproductions are being made and some are very difficult to tell the difference between the real thing. Maybe I am over thinking too. Very possible.

islandhopper
02-06-2014, 07:58
A couple of other observations for me on this particular barrel, and I may be wrong:

1. There is no step on the underside and matches the appearance of an earlier P H barrel that I have that I know is real.
2. The shape of the lug looks right to me as to an earlier barrel.
3. The underside at the rear of the barrel has that curve that my earlier barrel has.
4. The top rear of the barrel, where the HP is stamped, is course in terms of how the metal was finished and looks like other good HP barrels I've seen.

I know these don't make the markings legit, but they were observations that I thought lended to them being real.

Emri
02-07-2014, 05:55
Looks OK to me. Trying to stamp flat letters on such a small radius curved surface is the most likely reason for the "difference" in appearance.

islandhopper
02-07-2014, 09:55
Emri, thank you very much for your thoughts. I looked in the groove of the marking to see if there is any chatter, that I understand would indicate engraving rather than a stamping, and I don't see any. I used a magnifying glass, and then the magnifying glass with my newly acquired reading glasses (mine eyes are not what they used to be unfortunately). I know these aren't the best photos. I also understand how hard it is to say with any kind of certainty without having the object physically in your hand if it is legit or not. So I do appreciate yours and Duane's thoughts on the matter. For me, there are several factors that at least point to this barrel being of WWI vintage, and if so, it would seem logical that the marking is legit. If not, the original P H would have needed to be removed and then a new HP engraved, and I see no indication of that either. But then I think the earliest barrels were unmarked. I don't know anymore. For giggles, here is a side photo of the barrel. Thank you both again for your input. I appreciate it greatly.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/islandhopper11/1911%20Barrel/HPleftside_zps5a92f86c.jpg

Duane Hansen
02-07-2014, 08:42
The barrel is in Very nice condition. Looks to have been fired very little. Can we see pictures of the entire pistol?

islandhopper
02-08-2014, 07:22
Duane it is a loose barrel I recently acquired. I too think it has been fired little. There is some very light freckling at the front and rear of the inside barrel. Chamber is good. Muzzle and throat are sharp. Rifling is sharp and strong. No exterior rust or pitting. The finish looks better in the photos, as it isn't quite that black. It's pretty consistent, though with some wear marks, but thinner. And in bright light you can see a brownish patina-like hue, with darker black/blue ares here and there in less exposed/ low wear areas. The machine marks are pretty sharp. For me a pretty decent example if it is legit.

Duane Hansen
02-10-2014, 03:58
I don't believe that the marking has been enhanced by any engraving at all but after the initial stamping of the "HP", the legs on the "H" look like they were not there at all. Someone then took another partial stamp and looks to have restamped the lower legs and cross line on the "H". It looks more like an "n" stamp they used for the repair or whatever. May look a little off but I believe it is legit. IMO