PDA

View Full Version : NRA Springfield sporter??

fireman
02-06-2014, 09:40
I have an old Springfield 03 sporter that I picked up for a truck gun a little while ago. When I first picked it up, I was thinking that it was a period done sporting rifle. Maybe a Griffen and Howe or somebody like that. Now I am not so sure. I think it might be one of those DCM NRA sporting rifles that Springfield built. Here are some of the details.

Star gauged barrel
2-32 dated barrel
Ser. # is EP'd on the bolt under neath the exctractor.
Ser.# is 1,407xxx..I can PM or email it to anyone who has the list of correct ser. #'s.

A couple of quick pics.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/fireman11/DSCN1022.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/fireman11/DSCN1021.jpg

Johnny P
02-06-2014, 10:05
Looks correct. There are quite a few NRA Sporters in the 1407000 serial number range.

Fred
02-06-2014, 10:24
Neat looking rifle.

dave
02-06-2014, 11:54
One feature of these rifles is the front ege of the reciever. It should be slightly rounded where the rec & A barrel meet. A clear close-up pic would help. And turn the sling over, those claws should never be in position to bang, scratch and dent stock!

dave
02-06-2014, 12:02
Front edge of reciever should be slightly rounded. Also butt plate (not clear in pic) is a bit thicker and dished without the tang. Pistol grip seems off a bit but pics are not really clear.

dave
02-06-2014, 12:14
I have a list of over 400 rifles sold in the 1,407 range. # 1, 407,365 is shown in Brophy's book. He's not afraid to list his number, why are you? PM or e-mail me.

Johnny P
02-06-2014, 12:33
Sling is on upside down and backwards, and appears to be missing one keeper. Stock and buttplate appear correct. Should have a circle P proof on wrist behind trigger guard assembly.

http://i58.tinypic.com/5yia38.jpg

fireman
02-06-2014, 01:30
Hi Guys.....thanks for responding. It is circle P proofed in the wrist. I will take some more pics and post them.

fireman
02-06-2014, 01:58
I have a list of over 400 rifles sold in the 1,407 range. # 1, 407,365 is shown in Brophy's book. He's not afraid to list his number, why are you? PM or e-mail me.

Dave,

Just an old habit of not posting or showing them on line. I will pm you that info.

My wife is from Owosso. I live about an hour from you.

fireman
02-06-2014, 02:11
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/fireman11/DSCN1026.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/fireman11/DSCN1024.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/fireman11/DSCN1023.jpg

m1903rifle
02-06-2014, 03:19
I'll trade you 4 or 5 "truck guns" for that one. It's a little too valuable for a truck gun ( although I do hunt with mine...it's a little rougher than yours ).

Herschel
02-06-2014, 08:39
That is an unusually fine rifle. As best I can tell from the pictures it is an authentic NRA Sporter. Being on the SRS as a Sporter is the generally accepted proof of what it is. Congratulations on the find. If that rifle is indeed listed as a Sporter on SRS I recommend you get the sales record which would show to whom it was originally sold. Cost will be $35 to subscribe to U S Martial Arms Collector magazine and $65 for the letter.

fireman
02-07-2014, 04:00
Found out today that it is indeed a Springfield built NRA Sporter.:)

That is an unusually fine rifle. As best I can tell from the pictures it is an authentic NRA Sporter. Being on the SRS as a Sporter is the generally accepted proof of what it is. Congratulations on the find. If that rifle is indeed listed as a Sporter on SRS I recommend you get the sales record which would show to whom it was originally sold. Cost will be $35 to subscribe to U S Martial Arms Collector magazine and $65 for the letter.

fireman
02-07-2014, 04:07
Well...it will go for trade/sale. I don't collect commercial rifles or Springfields stuff. My interests are military rifles and handguns, mostly pre 1918 A little bit of WW2.

What would be a fair trade value on this? I googled this some and I see prices between $2500 and $3600....is it that crazy?

I'll trade you 4 or 5 "truck guns" for that one. It's a little too valuable for a truck gun ( although I do hunt with mine...it's a little rougher than yours ).

m1903rifle
02-07-2014, 05:35
I see a lot of them priced in that range, but I seldom see one go for over $1500.00. I bought mine ( not as nice as yours ) on Gun Broker about a year ago for around $1000.00.

fireman
02-08-2014, 08:10
I was looking at GB and there are a couple there but alot of $$. I thought there was a way to search past auctions but I can't figure it out. Whhen I put this up for sale/trade, I want to put a reasonable value on it.

Weasel
02-08-2014, 09:07
There's been few of them on GB for a long time for sale. There's one that has been listed there since last spring with a mismatch bolt for $3 G.s.

m1903rifle
02-09-2014, 01:07
If you put it on GB, let us know here on the forum. You might also try it on the For Sale section of the forum before putting it in GB.

fireman
02-09-2014, 01:34
I hate GB....I would have to be dying to go that route. It has helped drive prices way beyond fun for allot of collecting. I will list it here and a couple other places when I do. I have a lot more feedback/history on the other forums.

If you put it on GB, let us know here on the forum. You might also try it on the For Sale section of the forum before putting it in GB.

Herschel
02-09-2014, 07:14
Fireman, What you need to do is click on the top right side of the home page where it says "advanced" then when the search page comes up click on the dark shaded tab that says completed. Scroll down to the bottom and select how far back you want to go, then click on search.

Peconga
02-10-2014, 11:34
Fireman, What you need to do is click on the top right side of the home page where it says "advanced" then when the search page comes up click on the dark shaded tab that says completed. Scroll down to the bottom and select how far back you want to go, then click on search.

I think you have to be a registered user on Gunbroker to search on Completed Auctions. However, the NRA Sporters currently active on GB have been listed for months at the same inflated prices.

Lest I forget, congratulations to the OP on your great find! You should also know that your NRA Sporter even has the correct Lyman 48 sight with the unique flip-down aperture; very nice.

When you decide to sell, it would be a nice gesture to list it first on the Trader here. Hopefully my tax refund will arrive before then!

dave
02-10-2014, 01:12
Dave,

Just an old habit of not posting or showing them on line. I will pm you that info.

My wife is from Owosso. I live about an hour from you.

Ever go to the Davison gun show? I always have a table around the first left corner in main room. We ought to get to-gether some time. Also the Shiwassee Conservation club show is this Sat. the 16. Its on 52 about 3 mi. north of Owasso.
You did get my PM about your rifle being on the list? I got dibs if you decide to sell---would not even have to mail it! hehehe!

fireman
02-10-2014, 08:42
Dave,

been years since I got over to the Davison show. I should go again. Saterday at the Shiwassee club? I think I can get down there. It has been a few years since I hit that one. I did not get your PM but another guy had the SRS list.

Ever go to the Davison gun show? I always have a table around the first left corner in main room. We ought to get to-gether some time. Also the Shiwassee Conservation club show is this Sat. the 16. Its on 52 about 3 mi. north of Owasso.
You did get my PM about your rifle being on the list? I got dibs if you decide to sell---would not even have to mail it! hehehe!

fireman
02-10-2014, 08:48
I think you have to be a registered user on Gunbroker to search on Completed Auctions. However, the NRA Sporters currently active on GB have been listed for months at the same inflated prices.

Lest I forget, congratulations to the OP on your great find! You should also know that your NRA Sporter even has the correct Lyman 48 sight with the unique flip-down aperture; very nice.

When you decide to sell, it would be a nice gesture to list it first on the Trader here. Hopefully my tax refund will arrive before then!

Thanks...it is a pretty neat rifle. I would keep it but it doesn't fit with my collecting interests and with kids in college or starting next year I need ot focus. As far as listing it here, I will but I don't have a lot of history here. I have been on other boards(gunboards and AR15.com) for a while. It anyone needs some references.

fireman
02-11-2014, 05:23
Dave,

your inbox is full.

fireman
02-18-2014, 06:49
gonna list it for sale.