PDA

View Full Version : Service Model Ace / opinions please........

Emri
02-08-2014, 06:43
A customer brought this to me to sell on an internet auction for him. I am trying to establish a baseline pricewise. There is not a lot of past auction history on this model to go by. Y'all's thoughts and opinions could help me out. I adjusted the pics to represent what the pistol looks like in hand. The finish appears original but is quite thin. Brown patina on the front strap and trigger guard. There is staining and discoloration in spots but no pitting. The surface is very smooth.

Do the inspectors initials mean it was military ? Or did all Colts from this time frame have them ??

Thanks !!

Emri

Emri
02-08-2014, 06:48
Jouster seems to arrange the order of multiple pic additions to their liking no matter what order I upload them.

usmc69
02-08-2014, 10:12
I'd say that is a Service Ace from 1941. Finish shows a lot of wear. Not an expert, I'd start the bidding at $2,000 and let it go from there. The R.S. is a military inspectors mark.

Johnny P
02-08-2014, 10:52
The finish has the appearance of being stripped and then cold blued. I don't know how you could get that much wear unless it was a truck gun. The hammer doesn't look quite right, but could be the photo.

The R.S. is the acceptance mark of Col. Robert Sears, as Colt was in his ordnance district.

usmc69
02-15-2014, 11:59
Emri,

So what did you do with it?

AJ