PDA

View Full Version : NM 1911A1 on Gunbroker

Andouille
02-18-2014, 03:15
Would anyone care to speculate about this one on Gunbroker?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392981077

Johnny P
02-18-2014, 07:03
Looks more like an assemblage of parts rather than a SA or RIA NM pistol. I don't believe the NM program ever used a Bomar sight, and it doesn't appear that the barrel is serial numbered to the receiver. Barrels were originally full blue without the polished chamber area.

Andouille
02-18-2014, 09:21
Thank you sir. In the first place, it appeared to be going too cheap (and probably I could have stopped right there). In the second place, I remembered your NM gun you posted a pic of back in maybe November in a tread about blued chamber area. And finally there didn't appear to be a NM on the trigger guard bow.

I don't know what I don't know, and know it, and appreciate your answer.

cplnorton
02-21-2014, 03:57
If you want a true NM 1911a1. A friend of mine has one that is legit that he was selling. I think he wanted around 2k for it. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the contact info.

Andouille
02-21-2014, 05:42
WelL CPL Norton, I was really looking for a used hardball gun on the cheap before having one built when this one appeared, and I'm not really looking for a NM gun per se. But the offer is quite attractive. A buddy of mine builds race guns but has an appreciation for things like this, and we were just looking at the pic of Johnny P's gun in the other tread and, frankly, lusting over it. Those guns just look "right" ya know?

So I'm not really in that market. But, let me think about your contact offer and I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, if any of the other folks here would be interested, probably you would be doing me a big fat favor if you'd get in touch with Cpl Norton first, and no offence taken by me if you did........

cplnorton
02-21-2014, 06:19
Well for what you are looking for, I would just find one of the ones that were done commercially back in the day. You can usually find one that has most of the traits of a NM for pretty cheap if you don't mind the fact that it was done commercially, and not made by the military. When that happens it destroys the collectability, but not the shootability. I'm near Camp Perry so I see them at the shows for about $600 to $800 all the time.

Andouille
02-21-2014, 08:59
Probably should have been a little more specific. I'm a relatively decent hand with a service rifle but have almost run out of goals with SR and was thinking CMP pistol might be the next one. Hence the need for a good hardball gun, even though I still get a kick out of shooting across-the-course. I was really looking for a relatively new "low mileage" pistol and will probably end up having one built by Clark or maybe Sayler. My bud the race gun builder is trying to decide if he can fit one into his schedule and I'm pretty sure he could do a good job with it but he's relatively inexperienced building hardball guns so there's that for ya.

So sorry to say a vintage hardball gun isn't all that attractive to me, but having a real NM gun - separate from the new hardball gun - is darn attractive. I'm counting pennies, not sure if there are enough in the piggy bank to float both or not.

Andouille
02-21-2014, 09:04
I'm near Camp Perry so I see them at the shows for about $600 to $800 all the time.

The pistol at auction that started this thread has sold for $1,481.00. Even to my uneducated eyes, that seems more than just a bit excessive.

DIMO
03-02-2014, 11:47
Johnny P is correct that pistol is not a S/A NM gun. The sight is incorrect as well as the trigger, no technitons stamp, and wrong finnish.