PDA

View Full Version : The passing of Dick Culver

1mark
02-25-2014, 01:43
I just read a post on Military Surplus that Dick has passed. Still looking for more information.

1mark
02-25-2014, 01:45
I just found the information above in Gun Talk. Sorry for the duplicate posting.

SMOKEY
02-25-2014, 04:14
Please let us know if this has been confirmed. We know he was ill earlier in the year

jgaynor
02-25-2014, 07:12
Unfortunately its true. I saw the notice on the Military Surplus forum first as well. I then found it here but it was sort of at the end of a long thread.

A sad day for us all but we can take some comfort in the fact that the Major led a full life and really made his mark with a lot of people. Now his pain is over. May the perpetual light shine upon him.

Regards,
Jim

Lancebear
02-25-2014, 10:10
RIP Major, always a first class site. Condolences to the Culver family. Learned so much when I was here every night years ago. First firearms forum ever joined. Best M1903 men in the world taught me so much. Never forget that.

Old member here, Lyman commented on the Major's passin' over on Gunboards. There's a thread about this in the Minefield, very respectful. Read about Micheal P. passin' also, loved his photos of fantastic M1903 sporters done by the finest old time gunsmiths.

I thank the Culvers for this great site, and will always remember them for providin' it, through thick and thin. Think I read the Major's stories a few times, interestin' life.

Jim Tarleton, send me a mail, Harbelis@cox.net, Robert K., been too long. Don't think I have your current e-mail address.

Lancebear

oldyella
02-26-2014, 04:46
tribute your talkin bout is here

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=23202&p=290631&viewfull=1#post290631

Rick the Librarian
02-26-2014, 07:13
Dick was the true pioneer in establishing firearms forums online. All the information was have access to and take for granted we owe to him. I had a few chances to meet him over the years, but always had something else going on. Now I'm regretting it.

I enjoyed his many "sea stories" and counted him a friend. May he rest in peace.

SMOKEY
02-26-2014, 07:21
:icon_salut: Another marine stands guard at the Gates of Heaven

Kurt
02-26-2014, 12:38
Although I didn't know Dick on a personal level, I have followed and very much appreciated his writings and his dedicated efforts to provide us all with this venue. I particularly liked his down to earth writing style, what you see is what you got. He leaves a proud legacy that will live forever, an accomplishment reserved for those very special and unique individuals.
My most sincere condolences to Gloria and the family. Behind every good man is a great woman, Dick was in good hands and that's comforting.

Regards

Kurt

John Beard
02-26-2014, 09:18
I am saddened to learn of Dick Culver's passing. Although I don't recall meeting him personally, we had many friends in common, communicated with each other on occasion, and shared many same interests. He contributed much to our passion and will be sorely missed.

I extend my warmest and sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

J.B.

Ketoujin
02-26-2014, 10:04
While I never had any interactions with Mr. Culver either on-line or in person, I am aware of how much and how deeply he impacted the wider martial arms collecting community and how much he gave to so many in the hobby in terms of his time, expertise, and energy. I, myself, though I am an infrequent poster here, have learned much in the past few years on these forums which he began. My condolences to his family.

Best,

Gunnar

joem
02-27-2014, 04:21
RIP Major, You are missed. Go with God Sir.

TDP0311
02-27-2014, 11:49
To those of you that knew the Major/served with him: a Scout Sniper unit is wondering if he had a unique callsign or nickname, as they are interested in using it as their call sign in the Major's honor. If anyone has a good idea on what the platoon should use as a tribute call sign, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

wsfbernie
03-03-2014, 02:02
I too, had never joined a site until I came here. I always enjoyed Dick's humor in his writings.
A unique and gifted perspective, whether on M1903's or M1917's. Though Dick is no longer with us, his writings will live on in the internet forever. I never knew Dick or Gloria personally, certainly a loss on my part. Salute to a gifted person.

PhillipM
03-03-2014, 06:08
To those of you that knew the Major/served with him: a Scout Sniper unit is wondering if he had a unique callsign or nickname, as they are interested in using it as their call sign in the Major's honor. If anyone has a good idea on what the platoon should use as a tribute call sign, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jouster, I believe.

Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery
03-04-2014, 04:43
TDP0311

The only call sign I am aware of was "Gray Rebel Hotel Six", he spoke about it often and used it when he could in the field. His primary MOS was 0302 and secondary was 0203. If you are a member of togetherweserved.com you can find some information on the Major. He can be found by looking up "Culver, Richard O., Major" his user name is "Gray Rebel Hotel Six" as well.

Reality is just now setting in, I knew he was in failing health but always thought he would pull through until I got a call from Gloria letting me know he was in hospice. I can't say enough how good of a friend he has been to me and I shall miss him greatly. I can't count how many shows and events we attended together over the years, all across the country. Not to mention his introductions to people that otherwise I would never had the opportunity to meet. I will miss the sea stories, several of which I have heard many times, but always entertaining none the less. I remember the first time we talked about Marine Corps Occupations, I was a little apprehensive to tell him I was a CID Agent (Criminal Investigator), Dick laughed and said, "Oh you were a Spook". I told him the last time I was referred to as a spook was by General Gray, he got a real laugh out of that. I have a few stories I'm sure Dick would not mind me sharing, but I'll wait awhile after things settle down a little.

Regards and Semper Fi,

Richard L. Turner
GySgt USMC Ret

Thanks

PhillipM
03-04-2014, 06:50
TDP0311

The only call sign I am aware of was "Gray Rebel Hotel Six", he spoke about it often and used it when he could in the field. His primary MOS was 0302 and secondary was 0203. If you are a member of togetherweserved.com you can find some information on the Major. He can be found by looking up "Culver, Richard O., Major" his user name is "Gray Rebel Hotel Six" as well.

Reality is just now setting in, I knew he was in failing health but always thought he would pull through until I got a call from Gloria letting me know he was in hospice. I can't say enough how good of a friend he has been to me and I shall miss him greatly. I can't count how many shows and events we attended together over the years, all across the country. Not to mention his introductions to people that otherwise I would never had the opportunity to meet. I will miss the sea stories, several of which I have heard many times, but always entertaining none the less. I remember the first time we talked about Marine Corps Occupations, I was a little apprehensive to tell him I was a CID Agent (Criminal Investigator), Dick laughed and said, "Oh you were a Spook". I told him the last time I was referred to as a spook was by General Gray, he got a real laugh out of that. I have a few stories I'm sure Dick would not mind me sharing, but I'll wait awhile after things settle down a little.

Regards and Semper Fi,

Richard L. Turner
GySgt USMC Ret

Thanks Richard. I snooped around and found a sea story where he explained it.

The SLF was divided into two segments, 2/3 (our Battalion) was designated SLF Bravo and the 1st Battalion of the 3rd Regiment comprised the second, or SLF Alpha. I was the Commanding Officer of Hotel Company of 2/3. Our call sign was what would now be considered to be terribly Politically Incorrect… The Second Battalion of the Third Regiment was known as “Gray Rebel”, and I was “Gray Rebel Hotel Six”; most appropriate, I thought, for a gent who had two Great Granddaddies who had served in the 59th Alabama during the Late War of Northern Aggression!

http://233part1.homestead.com/ArticlesandReports/CulverDick/IndianSummerbyDickCulver.html

da gimp
03-06-2014, 10:51
Thank you Phil for that story, it was the 1st time I'd read that one.

raggs
03-13-2014, 06:02
Damn, I was surprised to read this today. I dont check in much, but reading he and Michael Petrov have both passed, well, a shock to say the least.

I never had the chance to meet the Major, but I did send him a note thanking him for his hot buttered rum recipe.

He was kind enough to send me a link to this poem which I thought was cool ; http://www.jouster.com/sea_stories/M1_poem_with_watermark.pdf

REST IN PEACE GENTLEMEN and THANK YOU.

I raise my glass to both of you. SALUTE.

da gimp
03-14-2014, 08:28
Raggs, thank you sir for sharing that wonderful poem.........

Doug Douglass
03-16-2014, 05:20
If anyone finds out where in Arlington the Major will be interned I would appreciate that information be posted on CSP.

:icon_salut: