PDA

View Full Version : Creedmore Chinertl... worth the extra $100?

TDP0311
02-27-2014, 08:25
For those of you that have already gone the Malcolm Leatherwood USMC Sniper route, and those familiar with working on them: is the extra money for the Creedmore package worth it? If all they really are doing is replacing the screws, I feel confident in being able to go to the local hardware store to do this myself, unless there is more to it than that. The only thing I'm concerned about is the possibility of crooked cross hairs, which they guarantee won't be a problem with one of theirs.

Throwing an extra $100 into the pot isn't a huge deal, I'm just curious if its worth it or money wasted.

Also, I'm planning on using the Steve Earle blocks. From what I've read, that is the best route.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-27-2014, 10:05
You won't find the screws at Home Depot, I went to an industrial hardware store here in Salt Lake. The 6x48 screws for the blocks (I used the Chinertal blocks, they work for me) you'll have to get from Brownells. Steve Earle blocks will come with good screws if you're going that route, they're also color case hardened. Along with the screw replacement, I also used taps and chased the threads clean. My biggest problem was the front block kept loosening up, I had that silver soldered to the barrel and no problems since. I never had any issue with the crosshairs. For me, working through these issues was fun, I like the manual therapy. If you don't, paying someone else would be worth it. I do feel more confident with the scope since I've had it apart a bunch of times. Two of my junior shooters shot it at the Vintage Sniper match at Camp Perry 2012. I spent the match watching them with Hi-Lux/Leatherwood's president (jeez, senior moment, first name John, last name escapes me!). This was the first Perry match after the scope started shipping. John and I talked for a couple of hours and I took him through what I had done to get the scope ready. Mine is number 115, so very early production. I hope they're better now in the screws and threads department. Optics were never an issue, the glass is excellent. I'm happy with mine, others will say go get a used Unertl, Lyman, etc. but anything 8X really went up in price when the Vintage Sniper rules came out. I couldn't find a used scope at anything approaching reasonable. I've been shooting mine for a couple of years now, it is my favorite rifle. Don't just wait for vintage sniper matches, I shoot mine in NRA Mid-Range matches and I'm still looking to get out to Wendover and shoot it at 1000 yards. At Perry last summer, I bought a new Criterion barrel to put on the shelf while I wear out the SA 07 barrel on the rifle now.

TDP0311
02-27-2014, 12:41
Thanks Jim. I do enjoy working on projects, so I will probably just head down to the local industrial hardware store too and find the right ones. Do you remember the dimensions on them by any chance?

I've built the M1903A1 I will be using from the ground up, and decided to use the Steve Earle blocks for the sake of how close they are to the real deal. The one part I won't be doing myself is drilling and tapping for the mounts, but when that is done I'm going to go ahead and have the front block silver soldered too as I hear them coming loose is an issue, and has ruined a lot of scores on the range in the past.
I also haven't been able to find anything reasonable when it comes to Unertl 8X optics, so I figured the Chinertl would be he best bet. I'd really like to get my hands on the real deal one day, but the likelihood of that is pretty slim.

I'll be shooting the Vintage Sniper with a fellow Marine buddy this summer at Camp Perry, now all we need is the weather to turn up here to get some practice in!

chuckindenver
02-27-2014, 02:48
blocks supplied are junk, screws are junk.
Steves blocks are top notch, i wont install blocks without high temping both to the rifle...they will come loose if not done.
scopes. fair...rings...soft. on a scale from 1 to 10...id say a solid 7.

wolley
02-28-2014, 09:17
Be aware that the chinertl rings are junk also.
Mine may not be typical for all but they have 1 1/2 MOA of backlash from engaging clicks when changing directions.
After nearly two years of searching I finally scored a set original Unertl rings on eBay for less than $300. Those alone halved the group size of my rifle.
It is an honest sub MOA rifle now. Which is rather shocking for a 95-69 year old weapon. Age depends on which USGI piece you're looking at.
The chinertl scope is just a starter kit.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-28-2014, 10:15
TDP, I'm sorry, I don't have those screw sizes any more but if you've got a good hardware store, they can size them. Get taps, too, to clean the threads up. But first, I'd put the scope on and shoot it. You may not have the issues I had, that was two years ago. Call Chuck to have your blocks mounted, he's got the experience. The windage and elevation changes on my particular scope have been solid and repeatable but the clicks are a little mushy. If some old Unertl or other rings came along though, I'd probably give them a good look.

TDP0311
02-28-2014, 12:04
Anybody use the DZ Arms rings? Pricey, but they seem well built. http://www.dzhepburn.com/sights/

wolley
02-28-2014, 05:17
Anybody use the DZ Arms rings? Pricey, but they seem well built. http://www.dzhepburn.com/sights/
I seriously considered them and would have if I hadn't found the Unertl mounts.
I went as far as calling them and discussing. Nice folks!

ClaudeH
02-28-2014, 06:32
I wonder how that Pope Rib Stop on their site works.