PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Power sight fell off

Viking Guy
02-27-2014, 04:23
Gents,

I just heard from a friend of mine that he was shooting his WWII Browning Hi-Power and the sight fell off. He was lucky enough to retrieve it.

I've not seen the piece so I'm asking on his behalf how this should be repaired and if anyone can recommend a gunsmith to effect a repair on a collectible piece.

TIA,
VG

Ron Ewing
02-27-2014, 11:57
You must be talking about the front sight. Find a competent smithy. He or she should be able to re=install it. Or maybe you are talking about the "tangent" rear sight. Hopefully you recovered the pin that holds it in place. Good luck.

SMOKEY
02-28-2014, 05:11
Had the front sight of a 1911 fall off while shooting years ago. If man makes it, it will fail. Also cracked the slide on another 1911 at the ejection port shooting IMI ammo. Hot stuff. Do not shoot any Israeli ammo anymore unless in Uzi

Viking Guy
02-28-2014, 05:55
Sorry, it was the front sight. As far as I know, he was shooting standard 115gr FMJ. As to a competent smith, in our area we have guys that can do a fairly good job, but none I'm aware of that can work on collectibles making an undetectable repair. Years ago when I had a similar thing happen one of the local smiths wanted to silver solder it back on but at least he warned me it would leave a blob of solder around the sight. For the life of me, I can't recall who did it for me but I did send it off and was happy with the repair. I believe I responded to a member from this forum who either did the repair or pointed me in the right direction.

VG

ebeeby
02-28-2014, 08:20
Known problem with German occupation HPs. The guys on this board should be able to help you....

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

bobby L
03-02-2014, 10:48
I had a gunsmith put new sights on my 1911 and he I believe "staked'' it from inside the slide rather than anything done topside on the slide. Hope this helps...