PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this serial number?

Finestkind
03-03-2014, 02:05
I have purchased this 1911 which has a Remington Rand slide with an unknown frame. I have concerns about the serial number. Looking for thoughts. I can provide more images once the purchase has been approved.

Finestkind

usmc69
03-03-2014, 02:41
Doesn't look right to me. The faint SA on the frame and the marks look as if someone is hiding something.

islandhopper
03-03-2014, 03:07
There never was a serial number in that area of any USGI receiver that I am aware of. The first 1911s had one a little further down the line, but not that close to the slide stop pin. Also, I think I can make out the beginnings of the finger cuts behind the trigger and a very faint "Y" which is where the word "Army" ought to be on 1911 A1 pistols. So the M1911 A1 U.S. Army markings were removed and a number was stamped in its place.

islandhopper
03-03-2014, 03:08
The SA is a rebuild marking from Springfield.

usmc69
03-03-2014, 04:32
The SA is a rebuild marking from Springfield.

I guess I should have stated that the SA was a rebuild mark, but I thought most knew that. I was attempting to get at the obvious that someone has tried to hide the fact it has probably been liberated at some point in it's career. Most M1911's/M1911A1's that I have seen where the Army markings are obliterated have been brought home without the services permission. Could be wrong though and it may be General Patton's hide out gun.

Johnny P
03-03-2014, 04:41
It really doesn't matter where that serial number is stamped, it is very bogus.

usmc69
03-03-2014, 06:20
It really doesn't matter where that serial number is stamped, it is very bogus.

My thoughts exactly. Was just beating around the bush is all.

Duane Hansen
03-04-2014, 11:46
I would not buy the pistol at all, it is illegal to own and it could get you in big trouble in the future. It is a Federal Offense to obliterate and restamp a serial number, no matter who did it or when. Just a thought.....

Finestkind
03-04-2014, 07:40
Guys thanks for all of the input and advice. It will help with my decision.

Finestkind

Finestkind
03-05-2014, 09:23
I have passed on this pistol. Other then the ground serial number the pistol was in decent shape. Thanks for the advice.

Finestkind

five 0
03-05-2014, 10:45
I guess I should have stated that the SA was a rebuild mark, but I thought most knew that. I was attempting to get at the obvious that someone has tried to hide the fact it has probably been liberated at some point in it's career. Most M1911's/M1911A1's that I have seen where the Army markings are obliterated have been brought home without the services permission. Could be wrong though and it may be General Patton's hide out gun.

Is it possible that SA would have restamped the serial number after a recovered stolen weapon is returned, or would they have destroyed the frame?

Johnny P
03-05-2014, 11:22
Springfield Armory did renumber receivers that had their serial numbers removed, and were recovered. Springfield Armory would not have used a serial number already assigned to a Model 1911 on a Model 1911A1 receiver. The first serial numbers reapplied by Springfield Armory had a X prefix to a four digit number. Then they serial numbered slightly over 300 in the 856000 serial number range, then jumped to another X prefix serial number higher than any numbers issued during the Model 1911A1 contracts.

Finestkind
03-05-2014, 11:27
I would have thought that they would have smoothed out the grind marks and refinished the frame as well. This frame was had patina where the markings had been ground. This pistol had been painted black at one time and paint has been removed. Also the "SA" marking has been partially removed which means that the property marking were removed after the refurb process.

Finestkind

Johnny P
03-05-2014, 12:27
Who would have smoothed out the grind marks? The pistol was not ground down and did not get that number at Springfield Armory. The original SA rebuild mark was removed when the original right side markings were removed, including the serial number. Someone just stamped a random number on it to try and make it look legitimate.

Finestkind
03-05-2014, 06:30
Who would have smoothed out the grind marks? The pistol was not ground down and did not get that number at Springfield Armory. The original SA rebuild mark was removed when the original right side markings were removed, including the serial number. Someone just stamped a random number on it to try and make it look legitimate.

Sorry I was referring to the possibility of Springfield Armory having done this as asked by "Five 0". If Springfield Armory refurbished the pistol after it being recovered I would have expected them to smooth out the grind marks and refinish the pistol.

Finestkind