PDA

View Full Version : NRA Sporter current value

Steve(WA)
03-05-2014, 10:38
Hi all.... I have a chance to pick up a local NRA Sporter, looks to be completely stock, 1.27 million serial number, 1927 barrel date. P proofed stock, correct buttplate, serial numbered bolt, with star gauged barrel. 95% I would say. Seller obtained from his father, who got it from his father. I only have the 1st book on SRS numbers, it doesn't hit on that edition. Can you give me an idea of a fair price for us both? I have seen GB stuff go all over the map on price. I will post pictures if I pick it up. Thanks! Steve

MJ1
03-05-2014, 10:58
Pictures ? All but impossible with out them to help out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/DSCF0003_zps7b32b531.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/montereyjack/media/DSCF0003_zps7b32b531.jpg.html)

Herschel
03-05-2014, 11:11
I have seen some 1903 NRA Sporters that I am convinced were authentic but were not on the SRS Sales List. I have some later SRS Sales data that I will be be glad to check for you if you will send a private message or email me the complete serial number.
To me, being on the SRS Sales list makes the rifle more valuable. One recently sold on an internet auction for $3,825 plus shipping. It was near 100% correct parts and finish except for a Lyman 17A front sight. In the last year i have bought SRS listed but modified NRA Sporters for $1,100.00 and $800.00. Both show evidence of use and finish wear. Condition and provenance are everything.

Steve(WA)
03-05-2014, 11:40
Thanks all.... this is the only picture I have, it was at my friend's gun shop for evaluation. I don't have the complete serial number on hand. It looks legit to me, I have a number of other 03s, I had a Sporter years ago, that was modified somewhat. This looks original (I hope)!

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p504/steveffl/1903NRA_zpsadfde083.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/steveffl/media/1903NRA_zpsadfde083.jpg.html)

Jeff L
03-05-2014, 12:10
I've seen unmolested ones priced between $3500- $4200. Can you post some close ups?

Rick the Librarian
03-05-2014, 01:52
As I recall, those DCM rifles sold to members of the military did not show up on SRS. From the picture and your description, it looks legit to me.

Steve(WA)
03-05-2014, 06:06
Thanks all, if the owner sells I will pick it up and post more pictures then. Rick and Herchel... are there any differences between different years of Sporters? The one I had years ago was bright blued I think. This is parkerized.

Rick the Librarian
03-06-2014, 06:05
Herschel or Johnny P would have a better idea on that. I didn't think there was any difference in finish, but don't know for sure. I don't believe they were blued at any point.

m1903rifle
03-06-2014, 09:38
I think they were all rust blued ( barrel ). The TG , FP and barrel band were nitre blued. The bolt body was left "in the white". I'm not too sure about the other parts.

EriCal
03-06-2014, 01:39
I paid $5750 for a perfect-in-my-eyes sporter with speed bolt and reversed safety in 2007 and $1200 for a refinished but correct sporter, also in 2007.

Steve(WA)
03-06-2014, 09:35
Erical.... wow, quite a price spread. I offered the owner $2500, which seems kinda in the middle of what I have been hearing here. Finish looks original. Stock is P proofed. There is some finish wear on the upper barrel, just back from the date. You can see it a little in the picture. Again, I don't have the gun, and this is the only picture. I told the owner I would like to check the TE and muzzle. It doesn't look to have been shot too much. Thanks all!

Herschel
03-09-2014, 02:26
I agree with m1903rifle about the finish on the NRA Sporters. I have never seen a parkerized finish on one that I thought came that way from SA. Except for the serial numbering of the bolts, I think all the NRA Sporters had the same markings and features. Prior to 1924 the bolts were not serial numbered, 1924 until about 1930, the serial number was on the top of the bolt. The last ones made had the serial number on the bottom of the bolt. From the single picture posted I believe the rifle in question has the original blue finish. I notice that it has the front sight cover. Two of my nicest NRA Sporters came to me with front sight covers that had a blue finish that matched the barrel blue. I would discourage a person from removing and replacing the front sight protector. It is difficult to do that without damaging the blue on the barrel band. Why would you need to check the throat erosion and muzzle wear on a civilian owned rifle that shows evidence of very little firing? A person that puts a muzzle wear and throat erosion gauge in one of my NRA Sporters does so at the risk of being assaulted. It is another matter and very reasonable to look down the bore for evidence of pitting.

Herschel
03-09-2014, 08:44
xxx