PDA

View Full Version : 1903 serial #'s

Marshall
03-10-2014, 07:32
Just looking for more info about my 1903, thanks.

da gimp
03-10-2014, 07:59
Hey Marshall, glad you found us here on Jousters & welcome sir, you might put this on the 1903 Board here & you'll get an answer pretty quick............. A couple of 3 or 4 guys that hang out there, know a thing or two on them............ John Beard, Marine sniper, chuckindenver & Rick the librarian.........can probably tell you pretty much everything you need/want to know on it............ Take a pix of the stock cartouche, & the markings on the bolt, barrel, stock etc...............& post them with your question........

JB White
03-10-2014, 09:00
Years ago there was a website where you could type in the serial number and it would tell you where and when your '03 or 03/A3 was made. It was taken down once the book came out. The guys Gimp mentioned over on the 03 board have copies of that book.

lyman
03-10-2014, 10:49
Years ago there was a website where you could type in the serial number and it would tell you where and when your '03 or 03/A3 was made. It was taken down once the book came out. The guys Gimp mentioned over on the 03 board have copies of that book.

springfield research service,
the site is still there, but the info is not available thru the net, for free,

after one of the founding members passed (Mallory, IIRC) the other folks took the info down and changed the site,

some info on this may be in the trapdoor or krag forum, (or possible in the archive)

you can still get info, for a price, if you contact the site directly

JB White
03-10-2014, 12:20
So that's what happened?!? Thanks for setting that straight. Much appreciated :)

Mike D
03-10-2014, 02:24
Welcome Marshall. Your rifles serial # is not listed in the 4 vol. SRS set I have. The POD stamp is Philippine Ordnance Depot and a Benicia Arsenal stamp (BAWL), always seems to accompany it.

Did Benicia send a shipment of rebuilt rifles to the Philippines, where they were again checked and stamped with the POD stamp? Maybe others know more about that.

Serial # dates to late 1918. What is the barrel date? Look for any stamps on the bolt, maybe under the handle or around the safety lug. Any stamps on the rear sight? More photos please.

Mike

Rick the Librarian
03-11-2014, 05:26
I'm guessing that Benecia Arsenal was the "shipping facility" for rifles bound for the Philippines before WWII. The Philippine Ordnance Depot was located at Fort Santiago in Manila, which was also home to the 31st Infantry Regiment (sometimes called "The Thirsty First" for reasons I will not elaborate on! :D)

I notice you show markings for two different slings - which one is mounted on your rifle?

I agree with Mike - more pictures and information are needed. A nice picture of the right side from cocking piece to just forward of the rear sight would help.

Emri
03-11-2014, 05:42
I notice you show markings for two different slings - which one is mounted on your rifle?

Looks like the sling was made up from two halves of different slings. Notice the color difference.

FWIW,

Emri