PDA

View Full Version : A4 clone build finished with an issue

Truman
03-15-2014, 09:08
I finally was able to finish my A4 build tonight. Pretty standard build with vintage Redfield mounts and rings. With a commercial Lyman Alaskan scope. I dropped the action in my hand oil rubbed Vintage scant stock with a matching hand guard and carefully put each band on with out scratching my wood. Installed my scope and rings and ugh the scope is just barely touching the hand guard.. Is this common? The way I look at it I can grind my beautiful hand guard to leave a gap, try to shim the mounts or just leave it and shoot it. Whats the opinion here? Thanks Truman

Randy A
03-15-2014, 09:13
I wouldn't worry about it yet, you will have to install the shims under the front of the mount when you set up the scope and clearance will most likely not be an issue.

Truman
03-16-2014, 05:48
Thanks Randy, I was hoping the Alaskan would have enough elevation for my purpose with out the shims. How much shim do I need and what do they look like? Do I have to make them? Will I need longer screws? Is there a link for a newby? Thanks Truman

Herschel
03-16-2014, 08:17
The front of the Lyman base on my DCM 03A4 is shimmed with sheet brass. I don't know or have a way to measure the thickness. My rifle is scoped with an M73B1 and what I believe to be original type rings. I think higher rings would be a better option. I have a set but don't know what height they are.

jgaynor
03-16-2014, 09:40
If i read your post correctly it sounds like the tube of scope is interfering with the barrel guard. This unusual and is not the reason that 03A4 scope bases were shimmed. Could you post a picture of your rifle with the scope installed? Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Truman
03-17-2014, 05:01
Thanks guys. I made two copper shims for the front of the mount raising it about .028 I now have clearance for the scope and some additional elevation. I will post a pic later after I test fire. Thanks Truman

chuckindenver
03-17-2014, 06:47
if you work the dove tail so that it fits snug on the rear bridge shims arent needed

Major Tom
03-17-2014, 07:44
I'm not a gunsmith, but, if you shim only the front base, wouldn't that tweek the scope's tube? ie: front and rear bases would not be parralel (sp).

chuckindenver
03-17-2014, 09:32
your shimming the base, not the rings

jgaynor
03-17-2014, 02:40
Thanks guys. I made two copper shims for the front of the mount raising it about .028 I now have clearance for the scope and some additional elevation. I will post a pic later after I test fire. Thanks Truman

Sounds like you got pretty close. Follow this link for instuctions on how the govt himmed the bases and adjusted the scopes:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=20877

Download the manual .PDF then scroll down to Para 57 (about page 100 to 102)

Regards,
Jim

Punch the Clown
03-18-2014, 02:12
Truman, I have several A3 hand guards and some have more meat than the others. I would lower the river instead of raising the bridge in your situation.

Emri
03-18-2014, 06:18

You do not have additional elevation. You have actually decreased elevation when you raised the front of the mount.