PDA

View Full Version : 1903 rear sight marking?

islandhopper
03-19-2014, 09:20
There's a G on one side and another marking I can't make out on the other of the rear sight part that flips up. The markings are on the back side and toward the bottom, near the base. Do they indicate anything such as time period or just inspector marks? The rear sight has the notch on the top rail if that makes any difference. Thank you.

islandhopper
03-24-2014, 08:46
So I looked at the thing this weekend out in the sunlight with a magnifying glass. There is the G on the left side of the ladder part and an upside down J on the other side. The leaf part has the number 5 stamped on the left-hand side near the peep hole (which I suspect means the size of the peep hole) and that number is over-stamped with an X to mark it out. On the other side of the leaf/peep hole is the number 6. Is this all really common stuff? The base is marked with what looks like an L. I didn't realize that the leafs were marked with sizes. I have two rear sights. One is marked as above and the other had the number 5 there. The other sight has what looks like a small A on the ladder and a D on the base. Probably inspector markings like a lot of military rifle parts I guess.

dave
03-24-2014, 09:08
I understand the Marines asked for an got larger Peep holes, along with other changes. This was after WW1. July 89 A.R. mag. has details on the '03 sights and how they were used. Have no idea on the markings you ask about.

islandhopper
03-24-2014, 09:16
Thank you Dave. What is the standard peep hole? Is a 5 and 6 considered bigger or is the 5 standard?

RCS
03-24-2014, 09:52
You find a lot of #6 peep holes and #5 lined-out and converted to #6

photo shows the very early peep and a #8 which is a nice size

The USMC is #10

islandhopper
03-24-2014, 11:43
RCS thank you for the photos. That #8 looks huge by comparison. Are all peeps marked? I never noticed that before or remember hearing that they were marked, but I also haven't looked at a lot of 1903s.

chuckindenver
03-24-2014, 05:15
G is a subcontractor, dont remember the name, i have a package with the name on it burried someplace.

bobgar
03-24-2014, 06:13
I was thinking of buying an additional rear sight and carefully drilling out a larger hole in the peep for when I go to the range. I can always reinstall the original. I am in my fifties and my eyesight is not what it used to be. Has anybody tried this before?

Randy A
03-24-2014, 06:43
Would that have been Gotham?

islandhopper
03-24-2014, 07:15
Randy A

I have heard of that company ( front sight covers). That would make sense. But then there is the J also...

Bobgar

I have not tried it but I think using a drill press should work fine. You could just buy an extra leaf though instead of the whole sight. Though a quick switch of the whole sight would be easier.

chuckindenver
03-25-2014, 02:30
General machine i think...dont have time to dig it out right now...

islandhopper
03-26-2014, 03:01
Thank you Chuck.