PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Springfield Sporter Stocks

mike webb
03-20-2014, 09:47
My cousin has an old 03 Springfield sporter that had the stock broken in an ATV mishap. Boyd's offers a walnut drop in sporter stock that I have heard good things about. Their website says their Springfield stocks are inletted for the 03/A3 action which I think is the action with the aperture sight. Any of you guys know if these will fit an old 03 without major surgery? Almost no information on 03 Springfields on Canadian forums as they are not real common.

JimF
03-20-2014, 10:51
". . . . . . Any of you guys know if these will fit an old 03 without major surgery? . . . . ."

Should be a "near drop-in fit". I would hope no "major surgery" necessary. --Jim

Kurt
03-20-2014, 11:12
Assuming the 03 sporter has had the rear sight sleeve removed it should drop in with minimal work. The barrel contours are different at the receiver end so you may have to remove a little wood at that point but it will be minor. If you were putting an A3 in an 03 stock you would have a gap there so this is the better of the two.

Kurt

chuckindenver
03-20-2014, 04:19
if your doing a sporter,,,yes, they do fit ok, a bit over sized, but for the price its hard to beat them

Rick the Librarian
03-20-2014, 05:43
I hope their sporter stocks are better than their military stocks used to be - they had a very bad reputation at one time.

mike webb
03-22-2014, 01:28
Thanks for the info and yeah, can't beat the price for a finished walnut stock. I have a few walnut(black and English) stock blanks that you can hardly give away where 25 or 30 years ago there was a lot of interest.