PDA

View Full Version : first time installing a web strap on 03a3.....shoulder stabber!!!!

sonnyboy
03-20-2014, 05:44
I just bought a web strap for my 03a3 an installed it. The clip that go's on the butt end clipped easily an the flat side faces out. The strap on the forarm go's thru the swivel an back thru the adjustable clip(adjustable clip on inside). I can adjust the length easily but when I throw the rifle over my shoulder it bite's the front of the shoulder with adjustable clip. If this is correct, I cannot imagine luging my rifle around the deer woods with the top clip with extended lobes an latch folder down, trying to imbed it into my shoulder......what am I not doing correctly with this (WWII web strap)???..............sonny:icon_scratch:

Jon Field
03-20-2014, 06:48
Move the keeper down nearer the end of the sling! It is Long enough and has enough adjustment to get the keeper off your shoulder.

Richard H Brown Jr
03-20-2014, 11:46
http://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/AR-FAQs/sling.htm Shows the placing of the M1907 sling on a M-1 Garand. which is basically the same as for the M1903's.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/AR-FAQs/slinguse.htm for the use of the sling.

Went looking thru my copies (electronic) of 1903, 1903a3. Krag, Garand, and M1917. Only the 1917 manual had how to put the M1907 sling on the rifle:

FM 23-6 US Rifle Caliber 30 M1917 dtd. Oct 28,1943 pg. 27 para. 21e. It also tells how to mount the M1 improved web and M1923 web slings on the M1917, but should match for the Garand and Springfield.
Of course if you want the ARMY way: http://thecmp.org/Sales/1907slinginstall.htm

C-90

sonnyboy
03-21-2014, 06:34
I am talking about a woven web strap not leather.......anything you can tell me about those???..........t.s.

JimF
03-21-2014, 06:35
Turn entire sling over . . . .

Not the GI way, but more user-friendly! --Jim

Major Tom
03-21-2014, 07:25
In my Army basic training, they showed us the "correct" Army install. Then said to install sling to your best comfort.

Richard H Brown Jr
03-21-2014, 09:36
OK my bad, I thought you were going for the *classic* look. The Gun Sling, M-1 (Improved Web) *probably* goes on the same way it does on the M-1 Garand. FM 23-5, dated Oct 1951: Section VI paragraph 60f. pgs 111-114 with figs 54 & 55. And use in firing paragraph 87 pg 150.

Good Color pix of the sling in use is here: http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

Hope this clears up the use of the web sling.

C-90

emmagee1917
03-21-2014, 11:15
I now have these web slings on all 35 some odd of my rifles. They offer many advantages as made , and I've done a little modifing to suit me.
Place the hook in the loop so that the smooth side will be out AND the short web tail is next to the wood . This tail holds the hook and slide away from the stock to prevent scratches or noise . I have also dipped the hook in plasti-dip to protect the gun swivel's finish and stop any rattle noise.
The sling then goes forward and wraps around the front swivel , entering it from the muzzle side , and returns back between itself and the stock. This puts the tail end of the sling next to the stock where it is unlikly to be snaged by brush / branches / etc. The buckle is placed smooth side out and tail pointing towards stock's toe. Again to protect the latch from snags and to allow the use of the sling to help open the latch for adjustment if your hands are cold or in gloves. Again , because these are cheep enough ( $15 each for good US made repros ) , each rifle has it's own , so removal is not usually needed. Because of this , after assembly , each tip was double dipped in plasti-dip. This deadens noise and prevents the tail from slipping through the buckle . A razor blade knife can quickly cut and peel it off if needed , leaving no lasting trace.
If the buckle can't be moved further down , off your shoulder , then it can be flipped to give you the smooth side . The tail of the buckle should be hard to open without the sling tail helping , but you could wrap it with some two-sided velcro or duct tape to be safe. As a matter of fact , a third modification I did was to add a 6-inch piece of two-sided velcro to my slings . I adjusted my slings out to a proper ( for me ) shooting length , then pulled the sling tight by forming the loop in the slide , then laid the loop along the sling and " tied" them together with the loop of velcro.
Remove the velcro or push it off the loop , give her a yank , and I'm set to shoot.
Finally , you can also get a web BAR sling which is 24 inches longer , to get the buckle off the shoulder . When I ordered the slings for my gun , I had the maker make a BAR length one to try and also a half dozen that were 12 inches longer for my two 1917 Enfields and 3 trench shotguns because of the longer length between swivels of these guns.
HTH , Chris