PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Sporter?

goodcatch
03-22-2014, 06:55
I recently acquired this gun and am wondering if its one of the very valuable sporters (NRA or otherwise?) or if its simply another average sporter 1903 rifle. Pics at link below. I can take more detailed pics if needed. Caliber is 30-06. Bishop stock, Lyman sights, very smooth action/bolt.

Edit - Serial is 1364407 - and pics should be open to everyone now.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5gBP_Fn0JuoOTlkcFJkTmlJaDQ&usp=sharing

Also, if it is a valuable sporter, Id appreciate pointers on how best to sell it? Resources or people to contact, etc. Thanks fellas.

Dick Hosmer
03-22-2014, 08:25
Please post your pictures HERE (are you aware that searchers are greeted with a message saying they will get an email if and when you decide to allow them "in"?)

What is the (full) serial number? Many of the NRA sporters are recorded in the SRS database. Even if the rifle is otherwise correct, lack of original stock will cut value greatly. Here is a picture of mine:

Dick Hosmer
03-22-2014, 08:36
Thanks - very sorry if I may have seemed rude, was not my intent. Also sorry to have to report that your rifle is not one of the NRA models. Barrel has the pin cut for rear sight sleeve, and that is not the correct model of Lyman sight. Also, the metal has been completely (and heavily, I might add) refinished. You have a very fine hunting rifle, but the collector value would be negligible. If you want to sell it online, I'd recommend www.gunbroker.com

Johnny P
03-22-2014, 08:45
Your rifle is not a NRA Sporter, and the stock looks like one of the Bishop or Fajen stocks from the 1960's time period. Looks like it was well executed, but of no particular interest or value.

goodcatch
03-22-2014, 09:29
OK, Im never lucky like that anyway, so was doubtful. Thank you all!

Kurt
03-22-2014, 10:21
Although not an NRA sporter as you hoped, it's a classic sporter of the period. Like Fred and Rick often say, there's a certain "feel" to the older 03's that transcends across the collector type and the sporters. These aren't collectors per say but they are representative of what many did with those surplus 03's back in the day. It's folk art at it's best and they're still great hunting rifles. The late Michael Petrov brought the best of the best to life in his photography and books.

Kurt

randy langford
03-22-2014, 07:52
That is one nice sporter I would be proud to have that one !