PDA

View Full Version : low number 219 Donaldson Bench rest rifle

BradW
03-24-2014, 06:17
I've been reading the recent posts on bolt failures and low numbered reciever failures and got to thinking about an old bench rest rifle I picked up this last winter, it is in the SA 535000 number range and has a heavy barrel, is chambered in 219 Donaldson wasp. Being a rimmed cartridge it is pretty well seated completely in the heavy barrel with the rim locked in the bolt. Not to start the subject up on low vs high number recievers and whether to shoot or not but I was wondering if the caliber and case chambering would make this anymore "safer" to shoot assuming all else is equal and meduim hand loads were used. any thoughts? Anyone with wildcat chambered 03's they shoot?

Darreld Walton
03-25-2014, 08:54
If the rifle still has a 'coned' breach, I'd be highly suspect of the claim that the case is entirely enclosed by the barrel. Unless the breach and bolt face have been modified to resemble a Mauser, or later commercial breaching system, you've got some of the case exposed. Not necessarily a terrible thing, except that with the 03, as well as the A3, and Models 54 and 70 Winchesters (that plagiarized the M1903 breaching system) and the 1917 "Enfield", escaping gas from a case rupture or pierced primer can wreak havoc in them.
I was just looking at the Hornady #8 loading manual specifically at the .219 Wasp and the Zipper, and the Wasp is not necessarily a "mild mannered" round! Performance can 'push' the .22-250, though that pursuit is one I'd prefer to do using spanking new brass. I don't know if the 219 Zipper brass is any stronger than the 25-35 or 30-30 in the web area, but those cases are likely the candidates for forming the Wasp, and none of the three cartridges are what I'd claim to be suitable for the pressures that CAN be seen with the Wasp. IF it were me, I'd try forming cases from the likes of the 307 Winchester, or .375 Big Bore, cartridges that could easily see 52,000 psi, and with much stronger 'web' areas.
Before doing anything, I'd have the rifle checked thoroughly by a competent gunsmith, and see what he says about the condition, and your concerns.

chuckindenver
03-26-2014, 07:52
.30 gibbs. is a nice choice. and was made for the SHT 1903, lower pressures.
iv done. .45 ACP..{big pain}
.22LR and now doing a .22Mag.

BradW
03-26-2014, 04:40
Hi Darreld, It does not have the coned breech, there may be a small area where the extractor can grab the rim but the case is pretty well completely surrounded by barrel. The bolt is swept but I'm not sure of the markings on it, It's not an 03a3 bolt though, I'll have to check that but if something failed it would seem it would be from being pushed straight back. I've got cases that appear to be newer ones made from 30-30. As far as a competent gunsmith in my area there are none I would choose to trust (no offence intended to any that might read this) so I'll be using my own judgement on shooting it. It looks like a nice enough vintage setup and pretty shootable but I still wouldn't want any suprises.