PDA

View Full Version : Critique on Krag Please

Sako
04-02-2014, 10:12
I bought this rifle without any knowledge of Krags other than it has a 1903 front sight and has been shortened to a carbine. I would appreciate some critique and information on this rifle.

Thanks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400227443

Dick Hosmer
04-03-2014, 12:04
I do not know what to say, other than to reiterate (again) my wonderment as to why a person, especially one admittedly lacking knowledge (which in itself is no sin) asks this question AFTER they have bought the gun?

I guess, and not without cause, there have been cases of claim-jumping - which prevents people from asking such questions on an open forum, before bid close. On the other hand, serious collectors frequent places like Gunbroker, and "sleepers" are few and far between.

That all said, on to the gun itself. It seems VERY nice-looking, but, that was a VERY high price to pay for a non-original piece. A cut-down rifle is a cut-down rifle. Even with the NRA sales papers, it would be steep.

But, very best wishes, and I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

JBinIll
04-03-2014, 12:18
If that piece had been listed on the CMP auction it would probably have brought twice that. LOL I'd like to have seen the bore before I paid that much myself,that doesn't look like decades old cosmoline in the picture.

Kragrifle
04-03-2014, 05:21
Send it back if you can. If not, consider it a lesson and move on. Lots of nice 1898 Krag rifles out there now for under $800. You can always run them by this forum.

Fred
04-03-2014, 06:11
It sure isn't worth anywhere near $800.00 Didn't you wonder why nobody had put in a bid for it in the Week it was up for auction?
The only thing you bought for that price was an altered barrel without collector value, an altered stock without collector value, a hand guard, a buttplate & screws, trigger guard & screws, receiver & sideplate, magazine cut off, complete bolt, rear barrel band & swivel, swivel screw, rear sling swivel and screws, rear sight, lots of grease. Is all of that worth $800.00? Not to a collector. You might get $150.00 to $200.00 for it all at a gunshow... unless you find someone who doesn't know anything about Krag's. Sorry you got slicked.

jon_norstog
04-03-2014, 07:30
Sako,

I too think you paid too much. But it is a pretty nice looking gun. I would lose the '03 sight and have something nice put on, maybe a stock sight, maybe something like a sweat-on ramp with a gold bead sight blade. You could have a good time with it, hunting and shooting. Or use it as a truck rifle. Any Krag is better than no Krag.

Welcome to the 19th century!

JN

Dick Hosmer
04-03-2014, 08:13
He didn't say, but I guess if he were the only bidder, it would have gone at the starting price, since a BIN is not the same as a reserve. I was momentarily concerned that he might have paid the BIN. :-(

After looking closer at the pictures, I do believe it could be a real DCM piece, as the forend - while not carbine - is perfectly shaped as one, which is unusual. Also, the serial number does not match the cartouche, which, in this case, might support the contention that it could have been part of a batch overhaul, rather than an individual victim of Bubba. Yes, that sounds like a paradox, when "matching" is usually so important, but - little clues are little clues.

Nice gun, but still overpriced for sure. However (sorry Jon) I would NOT recommend making ANY alterations, just on the chance that it could be a legitimate (albeit not highly sought-after) piece!

Sako
04-03-2014, 09:53
Fellas, what are the chances that it is a NRA/DCM cut down? The gun is quite striking in condition and the bore is like new.
I bought the gun with the intention of shooting it and the price is acceptable to me.
If the heat bothered me I would pull my foot out of the fire.
Thanks

JBinIll
04-03-2014, 10:26
" the price is acceptable to me "

That is all that is important.

It is IMO a little too nice looking to be a Bannerman gun.The bluing looks to me to be a little too blue-black to be arsenal done but that is my opinion.Does the serial number show up in the SRS books?

Fred
04-03-2014, 02:22
It certainly IS a nice looking firearm. No corrosion, no dents or dings. Nice finish on the bolt and metal surfaces.

jon_norstog
04-03-2014, 03:42
[QUOTE=Dick Hosmer;362173....
Nice gun, but still overpriced for sure. However (sorry Jon) I would NOT recommend making ANY alterations, just on the chance that it could be a legitimate (albeit not highly sought-after) piece![/QUOTE]

Point taken, Dick. I would've probably looked at that gun as fair game for sporterizing ... Never thought about DCMs and Bannermans having any historic interest - but I guess they do. I've boogered many a fine or not-so-fine milsurp in my time and I probably would have had my way with this one too. But I have changed my ways and only mess with guns that have already been irretrievably messed up already.

jn

sdkrag
04-04-2014, 08:46
It's really hard to tell but the butt plate and rear swivel almost look like 03 parts.

Dick Hosmer
04-04-2014, 08:55
The swivel, at the very least, almost looks to be Parkerized, maybe the plate too, but that's not an '03 plate - the hole is too small.

Weasel
04-04-2014, 09:15
The rear swivel is parked.

madsenshooter
04-05-2014, 04:45
Bluing goes over parkerizing very good, I've read.

Rick the Librarian
04-05-2014, 06:37
In partial defense of the OP, I have to admit that the Krag was the ONE firearm that I actually did the research before I bought the rifle! However, I can think of at least two Krags I bought on impulse that I got burned on! It does happen to all of us! :D

Fred
04-05-2014, 07:42
Yep.

S99VG
05-04-2014, 10:09
The seller said it is a DCM-NRA Krag. The NRA sold carbines made from cut down rifles, with nicely installed 03 front sights, until they exhausted the supply of Krags sometime in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there is a chance your carbine is one of these. If you can verify this, then I think you bought a very nice and historical firearm, and I would do nothing to alter its current configuration!!!

PS - I have been told that bluing over a parked finish comes out looking like "crap." Parkerization was not invented until about WWI. As far as I know, Krags were all originally blued and a key characteristic of NRA conversions are a professionally installed front sight. From what I know, Bannerman and Stokes conversions pretty much look like hack jobs in comparison. Also, 03 butt plates are not a direct replacement part. Krag butt plates are taller.

dave
05-04-2014, 12:26
Reminds me of a red rider, with swivels!