PDA

View Full Version : Will a GI arched mainspring housing fit a Remington M1911A1 ?

John R.
04-03-2014, 08:54
Flat mainspring housings don't fit my mitts very well.Never have !

Anyone here know for sure if an arched housing will interchange without doing a little jiggery pokerey ?

Thanks,

JR

Make that a Remington M1911 R1. You can't change the header it seems...Sorry for the SNAFU

John HOLBROOK
04-04-2014, 10:19
Yep, they probably will fit an R1... I have lots of GI MSH'S both 1911 and A1 so contact me..

John

http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/index.php/about-us

John HOLBROOK
04-11-2014, 06:11
Here is an example of a clone with GI parts....

It is a SW1911 with USGI hammer, grip safety, arched MSH, 1911 trigger. The guide rod has been removed and replaced with GI spring guide and spring cap.. The rubber stocks are commercial Colt.. Some of the internal parts are also GI... I also added night sights..

I feel that the S&W is the best of the clones. I much prefer the external extractor for functionality and reliability rather than the original internal Browning design... I have found this .45 to be absolutely RELIABLE and accurate...

http://www.fototime.com/%7BE240EFF7-A71A-461C-A698-952C951511F4%7D/origpict/S%2526W%25201911%2520mod.gif

John R.
04-23-2014, 11:11
Hi John:

I lucked out on a complete 1.6 mill frame group complete .No slide , no barrel which was exactly what I needed. It is as new and never refinished.

I added a brand new 1952 dated ( on the box ) GI hard slide , a S&W Vietnam era chrome lined barrel, the tightest GI barrel bushing that I could find ,recoil spring , guide and plug and was good to go.

Shoots as well or better than the rattly Ithaca that , like yourself ,I had to use once to take care of business in the starlit dark at smellim range . I later won matches in South Africa with that pistol too.

What do you think about Bar Sto Buffers ? I have a box of GI extractors for the M1911A1 and another box plus every spare imagineable for my 8T Inglis.

Esthetically speaking , I have never liked the external extractors. First on the High Powers and lastly on the M1911's .Flat mainspring housings don't fit my paws . The GI aluminium set screw triggers are kinda sorta okay but milled GI are just fine by me.
I was offered a S&W M1911 but passed as the 1.6 is just fine.

Thanks for the offer re the arched housing.I referred a member looking for a chequered housing to you yesterday.

Regards,

John R. in Vancouver, B.C.,