PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen USMC Redfield 3x9 scope for the RVN-era M40 sniper rifle - Anybody seen this

tomky
04-06-2014, 06:12
Hey I just saw this on Ebay. The real thing and pretty rare as I understand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221407743099?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

04-06-2014, 07:48
Just finished reading an article "Return of the M40 Scout Sniper" in the Summer/Fall edition of GUNS Magazines special edition of "SURPLUS Vintage & Classic Firearms". The article is about the new M40 Remington 700 based on the original specs. They say " the rifle is as close to the original 1966 rifles as is possible to make today". The Scout/Sniper Association has officially endorsed these rifles and Davidson's of Arizona will donate a portion of all sales of the rifle to the Scout/Sniper Asso.
This Ebay scope would sure go nice on one of these rifles, especially if the correct mount could be found. The new M40 comes with no scope, rings or mount. The writer says that Leupold may make a reproduction-like version of the scope to visually look the part but with better optics than that the original issue scope.
The listed price for the rifle is $ 1469.99. Don't know if they are available or not.

holdover
04-06-2014, 08:03
a couple of years ago there was a limited edition of the M40, I think Cherry's did it. Sold for a bit less. the original redfield 3 X 9 with accru-trac was good for the time it was used, but can not compare to the optics of today. Being that Leupold now owns Redfield it would be nice if they made a replica of the old scope and sold it at a fair price.

Badgerord
04-06-2014, 08:55
There has been 2 runs of scopes made buy leupold, but all they did was take a Vari X 3 scope, dye it green and put Redfield on the eyepiece. Not attractive.

SWFA has them for sale.

We made exact repro rings and base for the Scout sniper Association rifles.

Mike Josephic
04-12-2014, 11:26
The E Bay scope was sold for just over $4,059. It must have been a pretty rare bird.

usmc69
05-25-2014, 07:43
a couple of years ago there was a limited edition of the M40, I think Cherry's did it. Sold for a bit less. the original redfield 3 X 9 with accru-trac was good for the time it was used, but can not compare to the optics of today. Being that Leupold now owns Redfield it would be nice if they made a replica of the old scope and sold it at a fair price.

There has been 2 runs of scopes made buy leupold, but all they did was take a Vari X 3 scope, dye it green and put Redfield on the eyepiece. Not attractive.

SWFA has them for sale.

We made exact repro rings and base for the Scout sniper Association rifles.

I have the Leupold Redfield Scope mounted on my Scout Sniper Association M40. Both the rifle and the scope work vey well together. One inch groups at 200 yards and 1/2" groups at 100 yards.