PDA

View Full Version : How about this early Rock Island 03

rayg
04-13-2014, 09:15
I just bought for $725? It's just missing the front sight blade and middle barrel band otherwise it's in nice condition and has an excellent bore.
The rifle has not been up-graded or modified since it's original arsenal change over from RB and 30-03 to 30-06. All early parts, no bolt high wood stock, split rear sight base, no sight groove hand guard, the stock has been cleaned or boned which removed any visible date but the Rec box is still visible. Over all a pretty good bargain. Bought it from a nice gentleman who bought a better one. Ray

rayg
04-13-2014, 09:17
xx

Fred
04-13-2014, 09:52
Wow Ray, You did Really Well! It has the small, grooved windage knob too. Holy Crap! You did GOOD!

Rick the Librarian
04-13-2014, 10:49
I think the term "made out like a bandit" applies here! :D

rayg
04-13-2014, 10:53
It was advertised on a forum and I guess I was the first to pop for it. The $725 included postage but when I found out he was only a hour and a half away, I suggested I'd meet him half way so he could save the mailing/postage cost. Ray

Fred
04-13-2014, 11:36
Man, you ought to go out right now and buy a hand full of Lottery tickets Ray! Before your luck runs out!

rayg
04-13-2014, 12:07
Wow Ray, You did Really Well! It has the small, grooved windage knob too. Holy Crap! You did GOOD!

It also has the allum night sight line on the rear sight. Every thing is as it's supposed to be for an early rifle.

This rifle buy was like the one I got last year below. That one was off of Gunbroker. Ray

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?30591-Talk-about-luck!-A-nice-1903-real-cheap-and-a-great-surprise-in-the-butt-trap&highlight=rayg

Fred
04-13-2014, 12:17
Yes, I remember that rifle! And it had an original Parts Container in the butt! Dang Ray. By the way, the bright line of metal in the rear sight slide is Platinum.

rayg
04-13-2014, 01:18
Platinum that's it! thanks Fred, I couldn't think of the word, Ray

rayg
04-15-2014, 03:13
Well I found the correct early middle barrel band, and a front sight blade and pin on line. Soon the rifle will be complete.
I didn't really need another early Rock Island rifle, I already have a Rock Island rifle that's even earlier, see photos below, but I just couldn't pass this one up for the price. I've been working and really trying hard to sell off, (let go), any doubles/duplicates of rifles I have because I'm running out of room and it's always a hard decision to make on which one to let go. And now, I just bought another duplicate one and another decision to make. Ray

Jkibler2
04-15-2014, 05:49
Very nice rifles, Thank You for sharing.

Fred
04-15-2014, 07:14
Ray, if you can afford it, then you can never have too much of a good thing!

rayg
04-16-2014, 03:26
How true, and I see you follow that rule with all the nice 03's you've gathered up. :banana100:,
I always enjoy looking at the ones you have as they are in such nice condition, hint, hint,Ray

Fred
04-16-2014, 06:29
Ray, I've just bought another rifle and will be posting a thread with photo's soon. It's certainly interesting.

rayg
04-16-2014, 03:33
How about this early 03. The photo is dated 1917. No bolt stock, straight bolt and small sight wheel.......... Hold it!!! I think that's mine.[url]

Fred
04-16-2014, 06:19
I can see one stock bolt under the handle. I can see that it has clips on the hand guard and that the hand guard has a groove of course. The windage knob is large. The top edges of the stock are sloped and not of high profile. Neat rifle. Wonder what the sailor man has on the hand guard. It looks like something stuck to the top and right side of it.

rayg
04-16-2014, 07:36
My God you're right, guess I didn't look that close at the rifle. So I guess it wasn't mine, Lol

rayg
04-21-2014, 04:12
Well the correct replacement middle band came and also the front sight blade. It's now in complete period trim, Ray

Fred
04-21-2014, 06:14
Hey, it looks Great Ray!

rayg
04-26-2014, 07:37
The SRS request that was posted earlier reminded me that I'm away from my SRS books and can't check this rifle's #87241 serial number. Could someone take the time look it up for me, thanks, Ray

Rick the Librarian
04-26-2014, 10:03
No match, unfortunately.

rayg
04-26-2014, 11:40
Thanks, Rick for looking, Ray

rayg
05-24-2014, 01:05
Well I was just able to get at my book on the "Springfield Model 1903 Service Rifle" by John Beard and C.S. Ferris and which John had autographed for me and I looked up the serial number of the Rock Island rifle I just got. And I see, that according to the book, the rifle I have is not one of the rifles that was built up from stored parts awaiting the final rifle approval and were finally assembled after the approval and were assembled regardless of period of manufacture. But my rifle is one of the first ones assembled/build post January 1907 using entirely newly manufactured parts. The barrels of the rifles built after that date reliably indicate the approx. date of manufacture of the rifle un-like the parts rifles. Here's a sampling from the book of these first year whole made rifles. You will note that the receiver serial number and the barrel date of mine falls within the sampling on the list.
I think that makes my rifle one of the earliest Rock Island rifles to come off the assembly line as an original production built rifle. It being made in the first months, of the first year of standard 1903 manufacture at Rock Island Arsenal. I think that's kind of neat. Ray

RCS
05-24-2014, 03:54
My Rock Island s/n 64145 with a RIA 3-07 barrel (also open bottom rear sight base) has the square left side slide like yours. This might be unique to early Rock Island rifles only as the Springfields from the same period all have the round left side on the leaf slide

rayg
05-25-2014, 04:08
RCS, yours is even earlier then mine. Are all the parts and the stock still in the correct early configuration? If so, there can't be a whole lot of these early standard production, non parts rifles, that are still in the correct configuration that are earlier then yours still in existence, Ray

RCS
05-25-2014, 05:14
Ray, I saw the early Rock Island on Gunboards too and thought about buying it as it was close to me, that was a really good buy.

My Rock Island s/n 64145 has all the correct metal for the period but I did have to replace the stock with another early Rock Island stock with a single bolt. Enclosed are some photos, note the breech cone is in the white and the early sear has the hole. Robert

Rick the Librarian
05-25-2014, 05:42
Dang, I've been looking for a single-bolt RIA stock for years. If anyone knows the location of another one... :(

rayg
05-25-2014, 06:04
Ray, I saw the early Rock Island on Gunboards too and thought about buying it as it was close to me, that was a really good buy.

My Rock Island s/n 64145 has all the correct metal for the period but I did have to replace the stock with another early Rock Island stock with a single bolt. Enclosed are some photos, note the breech cone is in the white and the early sear has the hole. Robert

Robert, so you must be close to Tampa, I was in Punta Gorda when I saw the ad.

Rick, I'll keep an eye out for a stock for you, I'm pretty good at spotting these early stocks at shows. In fact, I just I picked one up a few months ago. The cartouche is barely visible but the stock is still high wood. Ray

Rick the Librarian
05-25-2014, 06:08
I need a 1908 to 1909. I have a rare modified RB RIA stock (1906 inspection stamp) as trade. I would use it, but the stock is made for the "strapped" FRSB and the rifle I need the stock for is the "solid FRSB variety.

Any help would be appreciated!

rayg
05-25-2014, 11:13
Rick, you should get together with RCS Robert and see if it would be a good trade in stocks for you two. The early RB stock would work for him as they continued to use the converted RB and 30-03 stocks into 1907. As an example, my new 6-07 Rock Island has a shorted 30-03 stock as you can see the plugged upper band 2nd screw hole. And the later single bolt stock would work for you providing it's cut for the solid sight base, Ray

Rick the Librarian
05-26-2014, 06:18
I think RCS and I discussed a trade but he decided not to proceed.

RCS
05-26-2014, 06:41
My original question, was the rear sight without the small back rib and the square left side slide unique to just Rock Island rifles ? and how long did it last ?

Rick, I may find a Rock Island single bolt stock for you, just sold a nice JFC single bolt stock

Rick the Librarian
05-26-2014, 09:41
That's wonderful, Bob. I hope you didn't take my comment in the previous post the wrong way - I had no problem with your decision. Just wanted to let the other folks know we'd discussed it.

rayg
05-27-2014, 04:47
My original question, was the rear sight without the small back rib and the square left side slide unique to just Rock Island rifles ? and how long did it last ?

Robert I just checked Ferris's book, as well as John and Ferris's book, and neither mentions that the square sight was unique to RI. Maybe if John reads your question he can answer it as I'm sure he's examined a lot of rifles for the book. Ray

P.S. I checked Brophy's and Poyer's books also. No mention of anything. Ray