PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper USMC 1903 Rebuild on Gunbroker

cplnorton
04-15-2014, 04:17
If you know me, you know I am a sucker for anything USMC. I usually don't buy that much anymore as my wife has been sick. But this one just spoke to me. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the SA 8/42 barrel. That is getting sort of late for a Marine Rebuild, and I'm not sure if the Marines received barrels from SA in late 1942. I know the Marines were rebuilding them to early 1943 and I think I remember reading John Beard mention something about the Marines receiving SA barrels in 42, but it might have been the 1940 dated barrels instead that I am thinking of.

Anyways, I just scored it tonight. But I see a lot of good going for it.

-Hatcher hole
-Serialized B2 Bolt
-stippled buttplate
-no cartouches, and S stamped stock

I'm sort of interested to get that handguard off and look for barrel vice marks. But if the Marines did still receive SA barrels in late 42, I would say it probably is an original USMC rebuild.

It needs a good scrubbing, but other than that, it looks like a nice rifle to add to the collection. :) And with that late of a barrel date, maybe it served in the Solomons, and was re barreled afterwards?

Here is the link to the auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=407314207

twh
04-15-2014, 05:48
I watched it for a while and thought about it but the idiotic policy of the seller not accepting a C&R turned me off bidding on it. The only other issue I see with it is that it appears that at some point it was stored somewhere damp based on the discoloration of the stock around the stock bolts and the barrel bands as well as the light rust on the floor plate and receiver. I do think that you did well based on what you paid.

chuckindenver
04-15-2014, 06:59
nice rifle...love the history look of this girl

Promo
04-16-2014, 12:05
The stock is heavily sanded (see the dark spots, that's what left of the previous finish - plus also the rounded edges in the finger grooves), but otherwise looks nice. Congratulations!

CptEnglehorn
04-16-2014, 03:56
Good catch, I was watchin it, but the stock turned me off a bit and an empty wallet didnt help, other than that pretty darn nice piece.

TDP0311
04-16-2014, 04:51
There have been a few sleepers on there lately. I found a nice USMC rebuild the other day that I almost picked up, it was a low number SA receiver with an 8-41 USMC Sedgley barrel. That is where the good stuff stopped though, as it was in a plastic drill stock with at least an 03A3 trigger guard. The bidding started at $295, and it sold for $315 or so.

Had I not just purchased a nice M1 Carbine the same day, I would have gone for it. I also found a nice Sedgley 9-41 USMC barrel not too long ago, a rescue that had been shined up as part of a sporter job it seems. Only bummer with that was the barrel vice marks were very faint due to someone sanding it down, and when I had it reparked, they are no longer visible. I think I will look for a suitable receiver to match it to, likely a LN or RIA of any number since I think that would enhance the collection a bit.

RCS
04-16-2014, 06:45
Until almost the mid 60's Great Lakes Naval Base had a retail store that was open once a month with surplus items.

They also sold 1903A3 barreled actions for $10 ea and 1903 barrels for $3 each

They never sold any low number 1903 barreled actions. Some of the 1903 barrels were Sedgely with early dates and the USMC stamp and the vise marks. I have an old friend in
FLA who still has a Sedgely 1941 dated barrel and a SA 1-31 dated barrel both came from Great Lakes and they both have the vise marks. He sent the SA barrel to me and have enclosed the photos. The point made is that some of these barrels were available and could have been assembled into fake USMC looking rifles over the years.