PDA

View Full Version : Different contours of high-hump handguards

jonnyo55
04-25-2014, 08:04
I've noticed that within the range of high hump handguards different profiles emerge. I'm talking strictly about pre-WW2 (semicircular sight knob clearance cut) handguards featuring sight groove cuts here; in fact for the sake of clarity I'll omit the 1930's handguards which seem to have a distinctive "long hump" profile of their own. Some seem to "rise up" to the hump further back than others, with a correspondingly shorter sight groove. Is there any rhyme or reason to this variance?

stripper clip
04-26-2014, 04:33
After researching the books I have, I can't find any explanation for it. I've noticed the same thing you have, and I have such a handguard that does not rise as steeply to the top as other variations do. Good question!

John Beard
04-30-2014, 01:10
I am aware of at least three different profiles of high-hump handguards. One is a WWII Remington handguard. But I have not bothered to isolate the other two because of the scarcity of original specimens.

Within the spectrum of high hump handguards, numerous variants exist in addition to profile. And those can be identified.

Beginning in 1920, Springfield Armory switched to a straight profile handguard, which remained in effect till the end of production during WWII. At least three different contractors also made straight profile handguards.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Nate
04-30-2014, 02:22
My 1920s Mk1 has a hand guard that is not exactly high hump, but does has a fixturing slot. I have no idea what that means.

Rick the Librarian
04-30-2014, 04:12
The high hump or the fixturing slot?