PDA

View Full Version : Krags in Dallas at Jackson Armory last Saturday

Griff Murphey
04-29-2014, 05:02
There are three full length rifles there. To be honest I was not shopping for them and just casually looked at them, I think all three were 98's. the cheapest was $850. One had the front Sling swivel ground off, but the band was ok, and the butt sling swivel was missing. Funny things people do to guns. I did not take any bolts out but I did do a thumbnail exam, bores looked like they might be ok, after cleaning.
There was also a 99 carbine with the high hump handguard, looked pretty good.

Lots to see there! A live Chauchat, a RIC marked Webley,a real Liberator pistol, DSA RPD, two WW-1 1911s... Very fun place to visit. My fave was a Luxembourg FN-49 in '06. Too much to see, too little time.

Dick Hosmer
04-29-2014, 08:33
They regularly offer Krags on Gunbroker - all 'plain vanilla' guns at inflated prices, do not know if the guns are those from the store or not, but I'd assume they were.

Griff Murphey
04-29-2014, 10:52
Jackson Armory has never been accused of charging too little.

ebeeby
04-29-2014, 11:36
A lot of great things about Jackson. They do get some stunning examples of rare guns through there.
Deals there can be had - but you have to keep your eyes open.
Best of all they stand behind every gun they sell. They have never knowingly sold a fake that I am aware of.

Dick Hosmer
04-29-2014, 12:41
No animosity here - there are stores which tend to cater, for one reason or another, to various levels of financial ability. Another "rich man's store" is Collector's Firearms in Houston. My sole dealing with them - on what was evidently perceived as a low-grade rifle (but which was actually a pretty rare variation, being a Model 1870 Trials .50-70 trapdoor) went flawlessly. Cabela's, on the other hand, seems to have an "attitude" culture which I find distasteful.

Griff Murphey
04-29-2014, 04:33
Jackson Armory is an unusual institution. It is in a very yuppie 1940's shopping center in University Park right by Southern Methodist University. Quite literally its next door neighbors are yoghurt shops, toy stores, jewelry stores, high end clothiers, and so on. Frequently families walk in. The staff are like docents in a museum and I have seen them spend incredible amounts of time regaling youngsters and their parents with gun history. They are impeccable in not allowing kids to handle guns. They are just really unique in that respect. On Saturdays a lady librarian runs the book sales room, and helps with gun, military, history, and books on frontier life. Customers... That is, BUYERS, tend to be local connoisseurs with plenty of money, they know what they want, and buy it without haggling.

jon_norstog
04-30-2014, 08:53
Sounds like a nice place - maybe a little upscale of Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque.

jn