PDA

View Full Version : 03a3 question

MikeMarc
05-04-2014, 08:45
Hello everyone,
Im trying to find out some info on an 03a3 and maybe one of you all could help. It is a 5/43 production (Remington) all original (still has proof marks on stock).
This one seems to be exceptionally accurate which is where my question comes in.
There is an RNR stamped in multiple places and cannot find any info on that code anywhere. One is at the base of the buttstock, one just behind the trigger, and 2 (one being upside down over the other) at the top of the stock just in front of the on/off switch (forgive me if i don't know the term)
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
-mike

John Beard
05-05-2014, 01:23
The marking is probably the initials of a former civilian owner, perhaps now deceased. He was unable to take it with him. And it's a good thing, too. Otherwise, it may have burned! :hello:

J.B.

pickax
05-05-2014, 01:40
Good point JB. I think I'll cancel the custom casket to include my treasures:icon_pirat:

MikeMarc
05-05-2014, 04:52
I was thinking that, or a smith that may have done some work. It just seems odd the way it was stamped, how many there are and where they are. (just seems like additional proof marks)
In regards to the owner taking it with them, i'm happy they didn't. Whoever sold it did not know what they were getting rid of as it outshoots my Match M1a and K31. First day at the range put 5 shots in a half inch @100 yrds. Guy saw my target and offered a grand for it, (i respectfully declined)
Needless to say will definately be updating the will to make sure it doesn't leave the family anytime soon!

Griff Murphey
05-05-2014, 05:06
The On-Off is called the "magazine cut-off." ON means it will feed from the magazine. OFF means the magazine is cut off. The idea was a holdover from the pre-WW-1 era. The idea was the troops should hold a full magazine held in reserve for occasions such as the final assault, or final protective fire if under attack. The Krag had it, and some of the earlier British SMLEs had it.

MikeMarc
05-05-2014, 06:07
Was aware of what it did just didn't know the correct term for it.
Thanks for correcting me.