PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Springfield Type 1 Hammer

Smokeeaterpilot
05-07-2014, 07:25
Hey guys just purchased a 1911 Springfield Armory first 1k produced by the armory. So I know it needs a short spur hammer (Type 1).

I'm currently looking at one but its marked with a "c." At first I thought it was Colt. I was referred to Turnbull Restorations and a couple local gunsmiths that apprenticed under Arsenal Armorers. They all said SA Hammers were marked with a "c" and the "c" was not for Colt.

I don't have any documentation on this, I just have advice from people that have had experience on working on original Springfields. So I'm just trying to double check.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Andrew

Scott Gahimer
05-07-2014, 07:29
Springfield hammers are marked with an "S", not a "c".

Johnny P
05-08-2014, 11:36
The Arsenal Armorers always reminds me of a Colt 1911A1 pistol I looked at many years ago at a gun show. After looking it over I ask if the slide serial number still matched the receiver. I received a stern answer from the owner that he was a "Military Armorer" and that he could tell me that in all his years he had never seen a .45 with a serial numbered slide. I ask if I could pull down the firing pin stop plate, and sure enough there was the serial number. He was nice about my showing him the serial number, and when I came back by his table later the tag noted the matching number slide and the price had gone up.

Smokeeaterpilot
05-08-2014, 05:36
Well I appreciate the help, how much does a short spur Colt hammer go for I may have to resell the one I just bought.