PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 1911 Springfield

Smokeeaterpilot
05-10-2014, 03:37
Hey Everyone, I'm usually a bit more active on Gunboards, but just becoming more acquainted with Jouster since I hear more of the US collectors are on here.

As a GI Joe True Blue Blind Lover of US Arsenals (especially Springfield) this to me was a rare find. I know you can find them all day long for $3000+. I never thought I would be able to afford one and I missed an auction on gunbroker about 2 1/2 years ago for a 1915 in similar shape for $1500 BIN (it ended in like 27 minutes).
I picked this up for $1850.00.

I didn't get any pictures of the barrel, I could not find any markings on the lugs where the
arsenal stamps usually are. It did have a "s" or a "5" on the underside of the barrel in front of the lugs. Not sure what that is (heat lot number, I have no clue).

The hammer is a Type 2 Long Spur hammer I believe, doesn't look like a type one and mentioned before the magazine is not a SA but colt.

But to me the crucial part is the markings are crisp, the ordnance bombs, the Great Seal and Springfield Armory and patent dates on the slide. It has the original bluing (but its faded), I can't tell if the grips are SA I haven't checked.

I'm not saying there aren't better deals out there, I just haven't seen them (it's been a daily search and I've been calling gun shops all around the country looking for one). And I may have paid too much based on what you have seen but if that's the case there's an old saying "You can't pay too much for a collectible firearm, you can just buy it too early." So I may have just bought it too early.

What do you guys think?

stan4
05-10-2014, 04:57
It is hard to tell with just 5 pictures, but the grips look good and match the condition of the pistol.
Do all the parts (except the barrel) have the correct "s " marks? (Might not be that important.)
It is attractive and has that real "been there" military look. Nice find (early Springfield) and a good price.
Congratulations!

Smokeeaterpilot
05-10-2014, 06:19
I tried to post more but it said only 5 pictures per post. I looked at the slide stop and unable to see any markings on it. At first I was hungry to find the correct "s" marked parts, but RickTheLibrarian warned me not to be too picky with 1911s. I supposed to avoid getting too worked up, I should appreciate it for what it is...

I great representative piece with crisp markings and nice early s/n and original bluing and grips. Hopefully based on the condition saw some sort of service.

If I wanted "all correct" I would have to be prepared to pay $3,000+

This is the only one I was able to afford.

gbethu
05-11-2014, 08:56
Nice catch !!!

Smokeeaterpilot
05-11-2014, 06:36
Thanks, wish she was more of a show girl, but I think she's more of a "war horse."

I love it just the same I think it's got a lot of character.

05-12-2014, 05:04
Something about those SAs.

Mike Josephic
05-12-2014, 11:11
I tried to post more but it said only 5 pictures per post. I looked at the slide stop and unable to see any markings on it. At first I was hungry to find the correct "s" marked parts, but RickTheLibrarian warned me not to be too picky with 1911s. I supposed to avoid getting too worked up, I should appreciate it for what it is...

I great representative piece with crisp markings and nice early s/n and original bluing and grips. Hopefully based on the condition saw some sort of service.

If I wanted "all correct" I would have to be prepared to pay $3,000+

This is the only one I was able to afford.

You would have a tough time finding an "all correct" 95%+ example for $3,000 -- they go for $4-5,000. Having said
that, you have a nice pistol for the price you paid.

Smokeeaterpilot
05-13-2014, 06:42
Dave,

Glad I posted mine first, yours is a tough act to follow. I LOVE how yours doesn't have the idiot mark that mine does and almost every 1911 I see has.

Johnny P
05-13-2014, 12:21
Dave,

Glad I posted mine first, yours is a tough act to follow. I LOVE how yours doesn't have the idiot mark that mine does and almost every 1911 I see has.

That's a part of it being a "war horse", as the GI was taught to locate the slide stop and then firmly push it into place. Some were even taught to do it blindfolded. Does that make them an idiot?