PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a 1903 - need ID help

aaronk
05-11-2014, 11:16
I'm wondering if some of the knowledgeable members here can help ID my grandpa's 1903. I don't know anything about the gun, never even knew he had it until we were cleaning up his place after he passed away. Had I known, I would have loved to pick his brain on the history behind this gun.

So here's the gun… Serial number in the 9XXXXX dates it at 1918 with a Sedgley re-barrel marked USMC 1-44. No markings/stampings in the stock and the bolt is void of any identifying marks as well. The buttplate is smooth. This much I know…

Where I'm a bit confused is the stock, looks like a sporter stock, but it has a straight grip. Could this be the original stock that was cut down in a sporterized fashion?

There's also an (S) stamped on the receiver, just forward of the serial number, which I can't find any information on. Does anyone know what that signifies?

I can take more pictures if needed. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jan'42
05-12-2014, 04:19
Yes, a sporterised military stock. It would be very easy (though getting costly) procedure to restock it - you'd need stock, handguard, upper and lower bands with screws and swivels. Most available stocks these days are WW2 generic replacements, cut for the 03A3 ring as well, but it's better than nothing.

The circled S mark on the rear sight fixed base is also a Sedgley mark.

I would restore it if it were mine, but it may hold some sentimental value to you as is. The choice is yours.

chuckindenver
05-12-2014, 07:16
i would need better pics. but id bet this is a Sedgly rifle. and may not be safe to shoot.
serial number looks messed with..
rear sight base is marked S, and it has a alloy rear sight.. look for signs of a drill rifle... also may have a alloy floor plate, and id bet a alloy buttplate.
Sedgly drill rifles had a hole drilled though the chamber and a pin driven through...some have had the pin removed...caution..should be taken before this rifle is fired.

aaronk
05-12-2014, 09:25
Thanks for the info!

Here's a few more better pictures, any additional info would be much appreciated! When I first saw the serial number I thought it looked odd as well… No plans to fire this rifle, although he did have some old ammo along with it. The price of 30-06 back then was ridiculously cheap!

For some reason I can't get the rest of the pics to upload, but the butt plate material seems to be the same as the magazine floor plate. There is also two indentations parallel with the barrel just in front of the rear sight base.

aaronk
05-12-2014, 09:27
Here's the rest of the pictures.

John Beard
05-12-2014, 11:36
You have a Sedgley cadet rifle.

When the U.S. entered WWII, rifles were in desperately short supply. The Army realized that a substantial quantity of serviceable rifles could be quickly gained by exchanging rifles then in the hands of ROTC groups and military academies. The Army supplied scrapped receivers and bolts, mostly low numbers, to Sedgley in Philadelphia for use in fabricating cadet rifles. Sedgley scavenged barrels, fabricated stocks, and salvaged other assorted parts for fabricating the rifles. Parts which were otherwise unavailable were fabricated using zinc die-cast methods. The rear sight, buttplate, trigger guard, and floorplate on your rifle are zinc die-cast parts.

Sedgley continued production intermittently throughout the war as demand arose and parts were available. Some rifles were sold for plant protection and police use. You appear to have a late production rifle. I cannot rule out the possibility that your rifle may have been assembled from leftover parts as a sporter after the war.

The encircled "S" is the Sedgley trade mark.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Correction: the trigger guard is steel die-cast, not zinc die-cast.

cplnorton
05-12-2014, 01:04
J.B.

Then I would imagine those cadet rifles would be unsafe to shoot? I learned something. I had never heard of them of them before. But it makes sense.

TDP0311
05-12-2014, 04:19
I didn't realize the late batch of Sedgley USMC barrels were used in this manner. Of course, it is possible they weren't, and this barrel is a later addition. On that note, this barrel may also be one of the bent and re-straightened ones, though from the finish it doesn't look like it.

Anyone ever figure out who the guy that took the bent 43/44 USMC barrels, re-straightened, and re-parked them was? Unfortunately, he did a very good job.

Allen Humphrey
05-12-2014, 05:13
Just to add to JB and Chuck's comments...I've seen other serial numbers in the neighborhood of yours that look a little wonky and I think they have been discussed before. Check out picture #9 on this Gunbroker listing and notice the heavy struck 1's and vertically displaced numerals.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=415551685

aaronk
05-12-2014, 08:57
Very cool info, thanks guys!

John Beard
05-12-2014, 10:28
J.B.

Then I would imagine those cadet rifles would be unsafe to shoot? I learned something. I had never heard of them of them before. But it makes sense.

The rifles were considered safe for shooting, with the understanding that most were low numbers.

J.B.

John Beard
05-12-2014, 10:32
I didn't realize the late batch of Sedgley USMC barrels were used in this manner. Of course, it is possible they weren't, and this barrel is a later addition. On that note, this barrel may also be one of the bent and re-straightened ones, though from the finish it doesn't look like it.

Anyone ever figure out who the guy that took the bent 43/44 USMC barrels, re-straightened, and re-parked them was? Unfortunately, he did a very good job.

The rifle's barrel is a bit of a puzzle. While I acknowledge that it could be a replacement, I'm inclined to believe that it's original and was a contract leftover. Nothing went to waste!

J.B.

Art
05-13-2014, 05:33
The rifles were considered safe for shooting, with the understanding that most were low numbers.

J.B.

The rifle has a 900,000 + serial number which falls into the safe to shoot range, it may have a single heat treated bolt. Heck I'd shoot it. If you want to make it look like what it was in its original configuration new reproduction stocks are available from the C.M.P. In either configuration I think its a neat piece of history. Rifles were needed to guard plants and for training as well as at the front so this is an example of the total commitment to the war effort at the time.

chuckindenver
05-13-2014, 07:22
lets back up before you run out to the range and touch one off...
make sure the chamber is unmodified...before you shoot..
no low numbered 1903s should be fired...so.. if in fact its a low numbered rifle it is NOT safe to fire..