PDA

View Full Version : Camp Perry 2014

psteinmayer
05-16-2014, 05:40
Howdy all...

I just registered for the Vintage Rifle Match at Camp Perry. Unfortunately, the Sunday morning session was full so I'm stuck in the Sunday afternoon session. If anyone shooting a Krag would like to squad with us, it would be great! I'd like to see a bunch of Krag shooters all together - showing the rest how it's really done!

Either way, if you intend on shooting, the slots are filling up fast, so don't wait too long to register!

Paul :icon_salut:

madsenshooter
05-16-2014, 11:30
I managed to get on the AM relay, no guarantee of that according to the CMP, but I don't think anyone is going to get there earlier than me.

psteinmayer
05-16-2014, 02:10
Well, I'm going to get there very early with my Brother-in-law and try to get standby for the morning. But even if I don't, we'll still be able to shoot in the PM session.

CJCulpeper
06-30-2014, 06:33
How is the run up to Camp Perry coming along? I will not be there this year (again) so I will have to live vicariously through you guys. The good news I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The Marine powers-that-be have told us we have to be off Leatherneck between the 15th and the 31st.

Get pictures!

Good shooting to you,

CJC

psteinmayer
06-30-2014, 11:11
I'm all set... Got my loads ready, and I just installed a new 1907 sling from Turner Saddlery (my other sling was too long). I'll have my camera, so I'll get lots of pictures. Maybe we can get all of the Krag shooters together on Sunday for a group photo!

By the way, I'll have some extra Chargers with me in case anyone else is interested. I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday.

M2Phil
07-14-2014, 12:31
I'll be loafing around Viale on Sunday afternoon, out getting the Krag dirty and all. Good luck, everybody!

psteinmayer
07-14-2014, 05:52
Looking forward to seeing you M2Phil... I'll have my Krag too. My brother-in-law will have a (snark) Nagant.

jon_norstog
07-14-2014, 06:08
Good luck, guys!

jn

Dick Hosmer
07-15-2014, 12:01
Yes - Good luck to all!!

Mark Daiute
07-15-2014, 04:06
My friend , Fred and I were headed for Camp Perry untill I discovered that I need 3 root canals and three crowns. Am scheduled for the Root canals a coupl;e days before I was due at Perry, Dentist said I have to stay home he wants me nearby. Trust me friends, even the 900 mile car trip to Camp Perry is better than a root canal!

psteinmayer
07-15-2014, 04:34
Amen to that Mark... Sorry that I'm going to miss you this year. I was looking forward to seeing you again. Bob and I will keep the faith for the Krag shooters!!!

Ramair
07-19-2014, 07:30
Watched the tail end of the Springfield/Vintage Military Rifle Matches today at Camp Perry and saw lots of 03-A3s and 1917s, a few K31s and Mosin-Nagant 91-30s, but no Krags. Were any Krag shooters out there today? If so, how did you do? Thanks and regards, Rob

psteinmayer
07-20-2014, 05:44
I was there today in the morning session, as was Madsenshooter. I met several others who vow to shoot their Krags next year! This is why I think we should have a bunch of Krag shooters together for the match... so people can see what a 115+ year old rifle can do, and recognize it as such!

Paul

M2Phil
07-21-2014, 06:12
I was in relay 10 yesterday afternoon. Did so-so in the prones, but had to get on my feet in order to become really terrible. When the scores are all posted, CMP is going to chase me down and take back the t-shirt. No question though, Krags are capable, accurate rifles.

psteinmayer
07-21-2014, 10:46
Don't worry M2Phil... I embarrassed myself yesterday. I shot relay 7, and I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't snickering at my scores! I shot a 186 - 83 prone-slow, 53 prone-rapid, and 50 off hand! I have my head hung in shame, LOL!

psteinmayer
07-21-2014, 05:00
Just to let everyone know, the results from the national matches at Camp Perry are posted on the CMP site. I saw about a dozen Krags listed.

CJCulpeper
07-22-2014, 06:52
Don't worry M2Phil... I embarrassed myself yesterday. I shot relay 7, and I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't snickering at my scores! I shot a 186 - 83 prone-slow, 53 prone-rapid, and 50 off hand! I have my head hung in shame, LOL!

That's it, Steinmayer. No more Mountain Dew for you. (...and I don't even know if you drink the stuff.) You know how it angrys up your blood.

Well, there is always next year. Start getting your loads ready and practice your standing position shooting. When is the next match in MI and when can you get to a range? Chop chop. Get busy! :)

Speaking of next year. Just wait until I get there. I will be tied in first place and last place with all of the other Winchester lever action musket and Lee-Navy shooters. So don't be in last place next year with the Krag Boys.

Culpeper

M2Phil
07-22-2014, 08:12
That's it, Steinmayer. No more Mountain Dew for you. (...and I don't even know if you drink the stuff.) You know how it angrys up your blood.

Well, there is always next year. Start getting your loads ready and practice your standing position shooting. When is the next match in MI and when can you get to a range? Chop chop. Get busy! :)

Speaking of next year. Just wait until I get there. I will be tied in first place and last place with all of the other Winchester lever action musket and Lee-Navy shooters. So don't be in last place next year with the Krag Boys.

Culpeper

MOUNTAIN DEW!!!! That must be it. I had a MD the evening before the match. Oh, why didn't you guys warn me.
Actually, I was using the Harris 200yd cast load with 16gr. Alliant 2400. My 3 (THREE) misses were all high, top of the backer. I'm guessing the slow moving bullet travelling up that long tube has a bit more time to get into the proper angle for low-Earth orbit. None of them "felt" like bad shots.
Which FP were you all on, Psteinmayer?

psteinmayer
07-22-2014, 10:22
I was on FP 80 with my brother-in-law (he was shooting with his Mosin Nagant... well, shooting is a relative term where Nagants are concerned, more like fighting). Madsenshooter was also relay 7 and was on 99. My loads were the same as last year - Hornady 220 gr RN over 40.0 grains of 4350 and a CCI 250 magnum primer. No Mountain Dew (I hate the stuff, and I can't have anything carbonated or caffeinated anyway)... but I WAS still shivering from Saturday's Garand match, LOL. There's a CMP match in Kalamazoo next month that I'm planning on hitting. Hopefully, I'll do much better in that one. I still need a good shooting coat, but I think that may have to wait. Perhaps I'll glue sandpaper to my shirt in the appropriate locations to help my arm to stay put, LOL!

Incidentally, there was a guy two positions over from me (on 82) who saw me with my chargers, and after I talked to him, the guy two positions in the other direction (on 78) got into the conversation... Both have Krags that they wanted to shoot but couldn't rapidly load them. By the time we left, I had 4 different guys asking for my chargers and vowing to shoot Krags next year! SO... the chargers are going back into full production again!

CJCulpeper
07-22-2014, 12:21
Sand paper is too stiff. Try emery cloth then every thing will stay in position. I think you can buy it in bolts like any other cloth. I have suit pattern around here some where. I think it is a double breasted and with a little tweaking leather can be added to the elbows for the prone positions and a dashing Ivy league look.

I look forward to the Kalamazoo range report.