PDA

View Full Version : 1942 Colt 1911A1

Jim Bell
05-16-2014, 08:48
Just purchased this beauty. Looks like it has never been detail stripped, so I jumped on the chance to be the first. I was surprised to find the insides packed with grease. The sear and disco came out looking like a mummy. The pistol functioned like normal...did not shoot it, but passed all safety checks. We're guns shipped from the Colt factory this way? New to this forum and looks to be a great place to learn. Jim

joem
05-17-2014, 04:51
Nice score.

Johnny P
05-17-2014, 06:00
When originally shipped from the manufacturer to the military the pistols were dipped in a preservative oil, allowed to drain, and then wrapped in an oil proof paper and boxed.

Your Colt appears to show holster wear, as well as a scratch where the slide stop has been reinstalled. It may have been packed in grease following WWII or the Korean war.

Jim Bell
05-17-2014, 07:27
Thanks, Johnny P, that's what I was interested in finding out.
Did the military pack pistols in grease after a war for storage? Or was that a private owner bright idea? Jim

Johnny P
05-17-2014, 09:59
No way of really telling. Some of the small arms from WWII were packed for long term storage, but it could have also been a individual that packed it with grease. As far as I know the weapons packed for long term storage went through rebuild prior to be packed and would be a mix of parts.

6kidsdad
05-20-2014, 06:04
I recently bought an original Remington Rand that was packed like yours with grease. It smelled really bad also! It had been there for a long time.