PDA

View Full Version : Attention please, John Beard . . . . .

JimF
05-20-2014, 08:16
I've been following the thread below about the "good, bad, and ugly, etc. . . . ." and am now a bit confused . . . .

The OP reports the bolt handle of his rifle is a "straightened" Remington.

Well, John, I just saw (in a gun shop) an "R" marked bolt, with a STRAIGHT handle, and a three didgit code on either the TOP or BOTTOM (I can't remember which, nor the exact code) . . . of the safety lug.

It seems to me, I remember you stating in the past that Springfield Armory made some bolts way back that were straight-handled and "R" marked, correct?

Could it be that this is the bolt I saw . . . and the one in the OP's rifle?

I looked at Vi-shooter's website, but I cannot find it (though it is probably there, alright).

Can you "un-dis-com-bob-u-late" me?

Thanks much, --Jim

John Beard
05-20-2014, 01:24
Springfield Armory did indeed make some "R" subinspection marked parts during 1918. But I don't recall bolts being any of those parts. Nevertheless, I cannot rule out the possibility that Springfield Armory "R" marked bolts may exist, with straight or curved handles.

Strong evidence has surfaced over the years that Remington received assorted parts, including a bolt, from Rock Island Arsenal during late 1941 or early 1942. Some of those parts were re-marked with an "R", perhaps to indicate re-issuance by Remington.

And, finally, I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate that Remington manufactured any straight-handle bolts and evidence is overwhelming that they did not.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Jan'42
05-20-2014, 02:44
The bolt I discuss is most assuredly NOT original.

If SA made it, they did a fruitfully bad job of it!

Mine is Throw a shrimp on the barbie Bubba-done. Semi-talented bubba, but bubba none the less.