PDA

View Full Version : A few lessons from the Krag era (long)

jon_norstog
05-24-2014, 08:50
After the Spanish American War the US became a different country in its relations with the world and especially the western hemisphere countries. U.S. military forces, especially USMC were constantly being deployed in "interventions" which were really small wars. It did not take long for these to be topics for training and at war college. The USMC developed a manual based on experiences in the field ... here is some selected entries that apply to the deployment and use of the Krag and Springfield rifles. Read the manual! There is stuff in there could have saved the lives of troops in Vietnam, if the U.S. military had bothered to RTFM.

From the USMC Small Wars Manual (1940) Manhattan KS (no date), Sunflower Press. facsimile edition.

6-24 (b) “If the rifle units are completely equipped with the semi-automatic rifle, the inclusion of any full (auto) shoulder weapon in each squad is not warranted. If the basic arm in the patrol is the bolt-action rifle, the armament of each squad should include two semi-automatic, or two Browning automatic rifles, or one of each. This proportion of automatic shoulder weapons to bolt-action rifles should rarely, if ever, be exceeded. Ammunition supply in small wars is a difficult problem. Volume of fire can seldom replace accuracy of fire in a small war. …. The automatic weapons should be utilised to protect the exposed flanks or to silence hostile automatic weapons.”

(The manual has a lengthy section on the use and care of pack animals for the patrol supply train. Patrols might last a week or more and they were limited in what they could carry.)

6-24 (c) “Whether or not the bayonet is included in the armament of the patrol depends on the terrain, the nature of the particular operation, the training of the men,, and the opinion of the patrol leader. In jungle terrain the bayonet impedes the movement of the individuals both on the march and when deployed for combat by snagging on vines and the dense underbrush; it is doubtful if it can be used effectively, even in the assault, in such terrain.”

6-76 ((h) The bolo attack . - In certain theaters of small wars operations there is the possibility that a patrol may be ambushed and rushed from both sides of the trail by an enemy armed only with bladed weapons. Such attacks are launched from positions located a few feet from the sides of the trail. The use of rifle fire in the general melee which results is fully as dangerous to friendly personnel as to the enemy. The experience of regular forces which have encountered such tactics in the past has indicated that the bayonet is the most satisfactory weapon to combat an attack of this nature.”

(and of course there was the call for a more effective pistol that led to the development of the 1911 .45 auto)

Michaelp
05-25-2014, 04:55
In the AO I worked in RVN for 18 months the terrain varied from open fields to swamps, rubber plantations, and growth you could not see two feet.
Our job was to patrol and secure it from infiltration out of Cambodia. We were far over our heads-local hicks against NVA.
No "one size fits all" strategy was applicable.
Situational awareness was the best applicable term.

Only fools walk trails.

I used to read the monthly intel reports sent out by 5th group. Interesting captured documents instructed the tiny lightly equipped VC to dash in and out of American patrols in heavy vegetation using knives and bayonets.
The large heavily loaded GIs were hard pressed to respond to such attacks and were considered vulnerable.
I only worked with locals and we travelled light, so I don't know how well this worked in practice.
I can see where it could work due to the vegetation density of some areas.
Some of those little guys had experience back to WW 2.

jon_norstog
05-25-2014, 07:05
MichaelP,

That's interesting feedback. Closest I got to land combat in that conflict was a few months in the burn ward and rehab barracks at Ft. Sam Houston, just after Tet, which was cram full of soldiers and marines. I did keep my ears open and my mouth mostly shut. VN one of the reasons I'm interested in the Spanish American and Philippine-American Wars. The US Military learned a lot in those wars - and then forgot it!

Here's something interesting: the Small Wars Manual recommends no more than 175 pounds load on a pack animal. Supposedly the NV were pushing bicycles with 175 kilo loads down the Ho Chi Minh trails.

I had always assumed the Philippine Constabulary rifles were designed for the smaller-sized constabulary troops, and wondered why they didn't just issue them carbines. Reading the Small Wars manual it falls into place: they absolutely needed the bayonet. They just needed a rifle that wouldn't hang up as bad in the jungle. And the PC rifle's pattern is pretty much that of the '03 Springfield rifle.

jn

Dick Hosmer
05-25-2014, 07:29
Yes, "Philippine Constabulary Rifle" was just the generic/'glamorized' name. Officially, they were known as "U.S. Magazine Carbine, Model 1899, altered for use with Knife Bayonet and Gunsling", rather a mouthful.