PDA

View Full Version : The Arsenal of Freedom, The Springfield Armory 1890-1948

AlanD
05-24-2014, 09:19
Could anyone please tell me if the above book has any information on shipments of rifles, pistols or MG's to Great Britain in the Second World War. Either the cash and carry program or more likely Lend Lease.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Rick the Librarian
05-25-2014, 05:45
Nothing that I recall. What specifically do you want to know?

AlanD
06-21-2014, 09:28
Nothing that I recall. What specifically do you want to know?

If there are any charts or tables showing quantifies of small arms that may have been refurbished at Springfield or simply shipped from Springfield to the UK during Ww2.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

JBinIll
06-21-2014, 10:35
If you scroll down the lists on this site it will give you some information although not specific to Springfield Arsenal shipments unless they happened to be the only suppliers-

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/LL-Ship-3A.html

Rick the Librarian
06-22-2014, 07:50
Fantastic resource, Jim - thanks for posting!! :)

firstflabn
06-22-2014, 02:23
There may have been exceptions in emergencies, but as a general rule, I think you'll find armories and civilian producers shipped to depots, then depots filled orders issued by ports of embarkation. I may vaguely recall that Raritan was the NYPOE's primary ordnance depot. If anybody cares, I'll try to hunt up where I saw that (or work on an excuse if that's incorrect).

Wartime logistics involved a lot more than small arms (master of the obvious am I). If you look at War Dept procurement spending in WWII, small arms accounts for about 2% (with small arms ammo just a tad more).