PDA

View Full Version : Maker of Custom 03 ??

kidterry
05-25-2014, 04:35
I purchased this '03 Custom rifle recently. I was told it was an Al Biesen rifle with a Jim Funk (Baitys Custom) barrel. Anybody out there help me find out who made this?

kidterry
05-25-2014, 04:49
A few more pictures..

Rick the Librarian
05-25-2014, 05:44
It makes me miss Michael Petrov all the more - he was our forum's "resident expert" on commercial/sporterized M1903s. :(

Allen Humphrey
05-25-2014, 09:22
The Biesen business is located in Spokane Wa. and is still active. I lifted the following quote from their web page.

"Some calls are to see if a rifle that is for sale is a "Biesen" . Those are pretty easy to verify: If the top of the Barrel reads either Al or Roger Biesen (some times it lists both names) Gunmaker Spokane WA. If there are no markings on the barrel, then on the inside of the stock (underneath the barrel) at the forend will have a stamp that reads Al Biesen, Spokane WN. If the rifle does not have these markings then it is not a Biesen rifle. "

The Wolf
05-25-2014, 12:50
It makes me miss Michael Petrov all the more - he was our forum's "resident expert" on commercial/sporterized M1903s. :(

I agree, Rick... Mr. Petrov was an amazing expert on custom rifles, especially customized 1903's. He shared his extensive knowledge with many folks on this forum for many years.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

13Echo
05-25-2014, 02:31
It is a nice rifle and it may be a Biesen but it just doesn't look quite right to me. The one's I've seen tend to have a bit of a roman nose to the front edge or nose of the comb and I've never seen a front sight like that one on any Biesen rifle (or any rifle for that matter).

Sure do miss Michael.

Jerry Liles

Rick the Librarian
05-25-2014, 09:44
Interesting ... Spokane was my home town.

chuckindenver
05-27-2014, 06:10
thought of him myself when i saw the question and rifle..

dryheat
05-27-2014, 08:02
hmmm, my neighbor is related to some Biesens, who were stock makers. I'll have to ask her if she's related.

It turns out my neighbors husband was Alvin(?)Biesens nephew. She told me he made a rifle for the Shah of Iran. Some of his wood blanks cost $1,000's.

Emri
05-28-2014, 06:21
I can't help with "who", but the heavy buffed high polish hot blue is definitely modern. I am not familiar with Biesen or when he built rifles, but your rifle, while still nice looking, just doesn't have that "old world craftsmanship" look.

Texraid
06-06-2014, 07:27
My guess it is not a Biesen. Here is one for comparison

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=367351#Post367351

06-06-2014, 08:16
Looks like nice work! But that front site is different.

mack
06-07-2014, 02:15
The drop in the comb on the stock makes me think this stock dates from the early to mid-50s since it incorporates a feature that largely disappears by the 60's. It is a transition stock in that, while the comb is dropping, it is not a severe a drop as on will see on a pre-war or immediate post-war stock. Checkering is also definitely more modern with double line edging.

The front site base is really later and could be a custom item later than the rifle.

A fine piece by any standard. Treat it well and it should return your investment. Count yourself lucky to have found such an item.