PDA

View Full Version : 1899 Krag Carbine Update

Jkibler2
06-09-2014, 10:28
Well I went ahead and bought the 1899 carbine I posted about a few days ago. Serial no. 361194. It does have the 1902 rear sight marked C and the front sight is also marked C. Brophys book does show a 1902 carbine sight, I just wasn't sure about it at first. Cartouche and P are weak but readable. I wish my IPad took better pictures, but it doesn't. Cost me 1100 bucks, but I always wanted one.

dave
06-09-2014, 10:31
Price is reasonable compared to my area, maybe even good. May be rare with that sight as DH said only 1000 sights were made. I sure he will be back to give more detail on that.

Dick Hosmer
06-09-2014, 12:18
Congratulations on your purchase. I don't have much to share on the 1902C sight, other than that they would have to be quite uncommon, based on quantity said to have been made.

I think I have a loose one put away in some musty box of parts, and my first 26" rifle came with one - would I like to resolve that issue!!

The base rails should not rise very far above the leaf, perhaps 3/16" or so; obviously much different (lower) than the rifle version. IIRC, the "C" has been occasionally been noted on the left side, but not on the eyepiece. The similar 1898C sight rails are so low that they do not even come up to the leaf, and, the 1898C sight does have a "C" on the eyepiece.

Unlike other Krag sights (which are bad enough!) some real doozies have been made up using mix-and-match parts from the 98/02 series. Some of course (the modified eyepiece immediately comes to mind) do represent legitimate salvage, but there are other assemblies out there which were never intended to occur in nature!