PDA

View Full Version : Current value of an exposed base magazine

Allen
06-18-2014, 08:36
Just wondering. These were issued with the first 4500 pistols. Due to cracking problems on the back at the feed lips the "keyhole" or "punch-and-saw" modification was introduced. On the first model (the "exposed base") three variants were made. This one is of the 3rd variant which was hardened down to the mag release slot (two tone) though you can't tell because of the camera flash. It appears to have not seen much use but does show the beginnings of the common cracking at the corners. It also has a small ding on the right side which doesn't affect the function. Back before the great recession of 2008 I saw one of these sell for a ridiculous amount on ebay. I have not seen any others for sale. Looking back at other forums the only info I can find are comments from 2012 which state they are bringing around $1200. The bottom of the base plate has what is left of a shiny or mirror blue like a commercial model. Overall it is in nice condition for a 102 year old magazine, just not perfect. Any thoughts or info on this?

Johnny P
06-19-2014, 03:51
Ebay is certainly the place to find out just how much it is worth.

In the first photo is that a crack on the right side. Picture is too fuzzy to tell for sure.

Allen
06-19-2014, 04:18
It appears to be. I tried to open it up (using my fingers). It won't open using that force so it hasn't weakened it much if any. I forgot what the ebay price was but the other figures came from other 1911 forums. I will try to get better pictures posted later today using sunlight vs the flash.

Allen
06-19-2014, 08:37
Pictures added using a different camera.

06-21-2014, 12:58
Try e-bay, I have seen 650-800. on a good week. Crack might affect price somewhat.

Allen
06-21-2014, 01:18
Try e-bay, I have seen 650-800. on a good week. Crack might affect price somewhat.

I intend to go that route along with GunBroker. I don't think you'll find one w/o a crack. Thanks for your reply.

Scott Gahimer
06-21-2014, 01:33
While cracks are common, there are still several exposed base magazines "out there" without cracks. I agree, cracks do impact the value...perhaps as much as 50%.