PDA

View Full Version : Extractor difficulties……..

JBinIll
06-19-2014, 01:00
I'm putting a bolt together to replace an older case hardened bolt in a high numbered receiver rifle.The bolt is an unissued BF1,the extractor is a NOS Remington part.When the extractor is installed on the bolt it sits too high for the bolt to enter the receiver.Since these are both replacement parts does the extractor require fitting to the bolt body by adjusting the height of the part of the extractor that fits in the groove in the bolt?The bolt itself headspaces fine on the action.Never had this problem replacing an extractor before on a used bolt.

chuckindenver
06-19-2014, 06:30
try another extractor collar

JBinIll
06-19-2014, 06:50

That sounds like a plan.LOL Now………if I can find the bolt that was in the rifle.Have some B&S bolts may try one of them if it headspaces OK.Thanks.There is a reason I try avoid working on my own guns,it never turns out as simple as I thought.

chuckindenver
06-20-2014, 02:25
welcome to my world , daily

JBinIll
06-20-2014, 06:44
welcome to my world , daily

LOL I spent 40 years working for a construction company in maintenance,tell me about it.

PhillipM
06-20-2014, 07:22

I buggered an extractor collar once and it wouldn't allow the bolt to go through the bridge. After that I quit messing with them.

Col. Colt
06-21-2014, 02:07
Don't try this unless you have a spare, new extractor collar on hand, and a tool to install it. I had a similar situation, too high at that point to clear the reciever.

I put the bolt body and extractor collar seated on a 2x4 with the extractor up, and whacked the extractor directly over the mating dovetail with a dead blow hammer. It fit after that, although I think I just got lucky - definitely lowered the "jaws" of the extractor collar..... That's what I did - but if you try it, you do at your OWN risk. My bolt still worked smoothly, but I expected that to ruin the extractor collar, and it just might when you try it! CC

chuckindenver
06-22-2014, 06:59
spend 18.00 on a extractor tool. best money ever spent...