PDA

View Full Version : Drilled, tapped, and scoped NRA Sporter

Chaz
06-23-2014, 05:55
I haven't yet had a chance to see this rifle. The seller is honest/reputable. He said it won't be an expensive buy and I didn't bother to inquire about his asking price prior to seeing the gun. The blued finish is described as 85-90%, the SA Sporter stock has a few minor dings and scratches but "...overall iit is a very nice looking 85 year-old rifle." It is fitted with an old Weaver K4 scope. I know what I paid for my pristine Sporter with NRA papers but have no idea what price range this one falls into. I understand it is difficult to evaluate without photos but any general thoughts will be appreciated.
C.

curio and relic
06-23-2014, 06:12
I'm not of the opinion that the scope would devalue the rifle. Under the circumstances a very good price would hover around $2K. If the rifle was 95% then 3K would not be out of the picture. All depends upon condition. Hope its nice!

Johnny P
06-23-2014, 07:12
I would have to disagree. If it had been drilled and tapped for a period scope like a Winchester or Stevens it wouldn't be a big hit, but being D&T'd for a Weaver is a killer. You could even order your Sporter with mounts for a Winchester scope.

Emri
06-24-2014, 07:55
I would have to disagree. If it had been drilled and tapped for a period scope like a Winchester or Stevens it wouldn't be a big hit, but being D&T'd for a Weaver is a killer. You could even order your Sporter with mounts for a Winchester scope.

I agree with Johnny. How much it affects the value really depends on the quality of workmanship. If done well and the bore is good the rifle definitely has "use" value. If bubba got out his B&D drill motor and made crooked holes and more than necessary to install Weaver bases it could be a disaster. The rifle may be not worth the "sum of it's parts"; consider that the bolt has been altered or replaced for scope clearance, the stock cut for bolt handle clearance, etc. You would just have so look at the rifle in question and make up your own mind what it is "worth to you".

HTH,

Emri

Chaz
06-25-2014, 12:25
Thanks for those comments. I didn't think of the obvious bolt and stock changes. Of course, I'll have to examine it. If it's well done and the price low enough (yes, a very subjective decision), I might buy it for use as a coyote gun on the farm. Or, I'll start looking at some old Model 70s!