PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID'ing a stock marking on my 1903

SloopJohnB
06-28-2014, 11:26
I'm trying to identify the stock marking on my friends Remington 1903. It's "AOF", stamped on the L/H side of the stock as shown. Normally, that would be a re-arsenal stamp, but I don't recognize this one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Randy A
06-28-2014, 03:10
AOF is rumored to be a (fairly common, I've seen a few) stamp used by Anniston Ordnance Depot, among one of its many name changes. The last letter is supposed to be the initial of the inspector, I believe there are at least 3 different ones "F" being one of them. During other periods it was known as AN and ANAD (ANAD being the latest, when I was in). Can't see much in your picture, but judging from the inletting of the top it's a war time replacement stock. I'm not sure when they were using that stamp, but I've seen stocks with dual stamps what I thought was the same time period, (RIA EB and AOF) I think EB was at RIA from 47 through 55 or something, (maybe 58) so I assume AOF was earlier.
I don't really don't know what to think about that stamp being Anniston, I know it's legit, but there were so many Arsenals, who's to know? I've never seen written proof and you know how rumors get taken as truth. It would be nice if JB stops in and can shed some light on it, maybe he has documentation. At one time, AO or AOD could have been Atlanta, Agusta or Anniston, (maybe more) according to archive documents they all went by "Ordnance Depot" at one point, too many AODs. I was always told that's one reason why the names got changed.

SloopJohnB
06-28-2014, 03:28
Thanks for your response, Randy. I attached a couple of additional pics of the stock. Any way to tell for sure , and how would one know if it is a replacement stock?.
As you mention, I've been used to seeing a 3 letter arsenal code and a pair of initials on the carbines & garands I'm most familiar with. Just didn't recognize this one.

m1903rifle
06-28-2014, 05:07
Has to be a replacement stock since the only Remingtons that came with a "C" stock were the M1903-A4 Sniper rifles.

Randy A
06-28-2014, 08:36
It's a Keystone WWII stock, not original to the rifle of course (like 03 says) and has been sanded heavily. I doubt that the upside down K is still visible in the cutoff recess, but I'm certain it's a Keystone. There are several characteristics to look for to differentiate, in your first photo of the thread (viewed from the side) you will notice the top edge of the stock in the area of the ejector/ mag disconnect boss has a distinct drop to accomodate that feature of the action. On pre-war stocks that edge was straight and the inside of the edge was relieved to allow a very elegant fit, the wood followed the contour of the boss,,,, it was neat. That process was eliminated to speed production.
If you view from above, the area where the action and rear sight base butt, you should see a small rectangular slot in the stock on each side of the front ring. This slot was for the hand guard retaining ring of the 1903A3, also a war time production feature.

SloopJohnB
06-29-2014, 09:41
Randy, thanks for the information. Upon a closer look, there does appear to be the faint remnants of a serif "K" in the recess. At least that's what I believe I can see in the attached photo. Can you give me any info as to why/when/for whom Keystone made these stocks? Repacements? Sub contractor?
Again, I appreciate your assistance.
John

Randy A
06-29-2014, 11:50
That's it, I didn't expect it to be there still. Keystone was a civilian owned/ operated company they, Amercian Bowling & Billiard and Milton Bradly were contracted to produce replacement stocks (maybe other things too).

SloopJohnB
06-29-2014, 03:20
Thanks again for your help Randy. Always nice to learn something new about all these historical pieces.
Regards,
John