PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Drill Sergeant
07-06-2014, 09:09
I am beginning to sell off my collection of military edged weapons. Although I hate ebay it is apparently the best way to go in order to have a chance at reasonable prices. My question is, in order to realize the best return, shall I sell an M6 scabbard with a blade dated M3 or sell them separately?

Thanks for your input and feedback!

Duane Hansen
07-06-2014, 11:20
I am beginning to sell off my collection of military edged weapons. Although I hate ebay it is apparently the best way to go in order to have a chance at reasonable prices. My question is, in order to realize the best return, shall I sell an M6 scabbard with a blade dated M3 or sell them separately?

I totally get what you are saying about getting your maximum return but if the Rare blade dated M-3 and the scabbard are original to each other it would be a crying shame to split them up. I know you have to do what you have to do but just think of us poor collectors having to buy the pieces separately and possibly creating a bunch more mismatched pieces needlessly. Just my $.02 worth......

Bayonet
07-07-2014, 06:06
I also don't like to split up pieces, and normally will not if there is a decent chance that they were originally a matched pair. However, in most cases selling them separately will result in a fairly decent price increase. I agree that eBay is the best place for maximizing potential profit as it provides a much broader potential buyer base than any other site that I know of.

Right now prices are depressed on most edged weapons unless they are somewhat uncommon and in Very Good or better condition. A dated M3 and M6 scabbard certainly falls into the uncommon category and if they are in nice condition you should realize a decent price.

Bayonet
07-07-2014, 06:07
I also don't like to split up pieces, and normally will not if there is a decent chance that they were originally a matched pair. However, in most cases selling them separately will result in a fairly decent price increase. I agree that eBay is the best place for maximizing potential profit as it provides a much broader potential buyer base than any other site that I know of.

Right now prices are depressed on most edged weapons unless they are somewhat uncommon and in Very Good or better condition. A dated M3 and M6 scabbard certainly falls into the uncommon category and if they are in nice condition you should realize a decent price.

Allen
07-13-2014, 08:18

Check out GunBroker.com. Nice bayonets bring good prices there and you can set a high starting bid or "buy it now" price and let the listing run over and over till it sells. You can't do this on ebay unless you open up a "store". GB fees are much less as well and people aren't forced to pay with Paypal. Of course you can use the WTS WTB forum here too.

Sunray
07-22-2014, 12:33
Gunbroker doesn't give money to the likes of the Brady Bunch either.

dave
07-22-2014, 02:57
I don't really want to sound like Goo but-----ebay sucks!

porterkids
08-05-2014, 01:49
Not only does ebay suck, they charge you an arm and a leg.

barretcreek
11-13-2014, 05:41
Find a militaria auction site and see what similar items go for. As far as SELLERS go Fleabay is for amateurs. Even though some serious collectors may search there.

Tudorp
11-16-2014, 04:05
Yeah, personally, I hate seeing matched blades and scabbards split up, if for nothing else than respect for the history of it. When I see them split up, I don't bid to be honest, because I find it irritating that someone would split them up. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.

ebeeby
11-17-2014, 03:07
Why not give some of the fellas here a shot before you go to Gunbroker?

Col. Colt
11-17-2014, 04:27
I know this will sound like Blasphemy in the early part of the 21st Century here in the capitalistic USA, but - Sometimes you have to let preserving accurate History trump Monetary Gain...... I could not split up a set like that for mere money if I was at all convinced they were original to each other.

What was the line in the original Indiana Jones Movie - "We are just passing through history - Indy, This IS HISTORY!" CC

tmark
11-18-2014, 08:04
I watch Mike and Frank on American Pickers. Best deals for them are when they "bundle" items to entice the seller to sell at a more reasonable price. I'm for keeping a happy couple together.