PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto Springfield 1903 video

Jeff L
07-09-2014, 04:37
Looks like it would be really scary to fire. It's a heck of a prototype. Enjoy.
IVNQQplAzu0

jarrodeu
07-09-2014, 07:31
Thanks for posting that!
Is that the one that sold at an auction a few years ago? I'm thinking James and Julia, maybe Rock Island.

Jarrod

Promo
07-10-2014, 06:04
I believe it was James D. Julia? Somewhere I saved the pictures from that auction ..

Does anyone know where they filmed this video? The wall they're standing in front of looks to be worth a visit!

emmagee1917
07-10-2014, 09:34
Where's the test firing video clip ???
Chris

Ironlip
07-10-2014, 03:44
Does anyone know where they filmed this video? The wall they're standing in front of looks to be worth a visit!

It's the Institute of Military Technology in Titusville Florida. Road Trip!!

http://www.instmiltech.com/

John Beard
07-10-2014, 09:30
I have a friend who has a 1929 Ford Model A automobile. His Model A has:

(1) A John Deere tractor water pump
(2) A Chevrolet alternator and voltage regulator
(3) A 12-Volt electrical system (replacing the original 6-Volt electrical system)
(4) Sealed-beam headlights
(5) A modern carburetor
(6) A modern ignition switch (replacing the original popout switch)
(7) Hydraulic brakes

Suffice it to say, there's not much original Model A left.

With respect to an M1903 rifle, the semi-auto rifle in the video is much like my friend's Model A. :icon_scratch:

J.B. :hello:

Fred
07-11-2014, 02:56
Yep, it's not really a 1903 Springfield at all anymore, if it ever was from the start.

joem
07-11-2014, 06:31
Looks like it wouldn't be practical on the battle field aqnd dangerous to the shooter to boot.

Promo
07-11-2014, 07:24
Well John, what would a G&H Sporter rifle then would be?

I however agree with you, one has to clearly differenciate between (at least once) officially military adopted, and civilean modified pieces. However, this isn't always an exact border since there were many civileans who also developed something which they believed the military could use - like the M1903 Rod Bayonet with the illumination for the front sight. It was officially shipped to the inventor what is also SRS listed, however it was never adopted.

I wouldn't mind owning that rifle since it looks to be a really interesting technique (especially the fact that they left the process of turning the bolt handle!), but of course it might not be anything which would fit in a strictly military collection.

jgaynor
07-11-2014, 09:46
More than likely this rifle was created or modified at a government arsenal. If the 1906 date is correct the requirements for the project may have stipulated something like "make a self-loading rifle but preserve as much of our investment in the new manual turn bolt (m1903) rifle and its tooling as possible". More of a proof of concept than anything else. Be interesting to see if any patents were issued for the rifle or its unique features like the gas system or "fence" on the comb of the stock.

John Beard
07-11-2014, 08:37
Well John, what would a G&H Sporter rifle then would be?

I however agree with you, one has to clearly differenciate between (at least once) officially military adopted, and civilean modified pieces. However, this isn't always an exact border since there were many civileans who also developed something which they believed the military could use - like the M1903 Rod Bayonet with the illumination for the front sight. It was officially shipped to the inventor what is also SRS listed, however it was never adopted.

I wouldn't mind owning that rifle since it looks to be a really interesting technique (especially the fact that they left the process of turning the bolt handle!), but of course it might not be anything which would fit in a strictly military collection.

A G & H Sporter is a G & H Sporter, not an NRA Sporter. The two should not be confused.

The curator described the rifle in the video as an M1903. However, I see almost no parts on the rifle that came from an M1903. The rifle, however, is still historically significant, just mis-described.

J.B.