PDA

View Full Version : Camp Perry 2015 or Bust - The 1895 Winchester Lee

CJCulpeper
07-11-2014, 10:06
I managed to pick up a few pieces of brass so I could shoot in the Vintage match.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3243075/state-college-pennsylvania-reloading-for-sale--6mm-lee-navy--usn--243-lee--original-brass--115-peices-and-reloading-tool

Should be at the house in a few days. Now I just have to get my kiester back to the States so I can work up some loads.

-added

I found this site. The guy has lifted the pictures from Gutterman. This is one of my two girls. She ain't the prettiest belle at the ball but I like her. I even got a sling in the deal.

Go all the way to the bottom. She is on the blue carpet background.

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/United%20States%20Rifles/M1895%20Winchester-Lee/Winchester%201895%20rifle.html

psteinmayer
07-12-2014, 05:05
Which relay are you scheduled for? I'm shooting Garand with Madsenshooter on Saturday morning. I'm shooting Vintage on Sunday afternoon, but I'll be there for the morning, as I'm going to try and get standby for the morning Relay. I hope I can meet you... and see your Winchester-Lee!

madsenshooter
07-12-2014, 05:08
The way things are going with my car, I'm going to have a hard time getting there! Parts are ordered, when they'll get here, who can say. But I may be able to borrow mom's car, if all else fails.

psteinmayer
07-12-2014, 05:12
You just gotta make it Bob... I need to beat someone in the Cast Match on Thursday, LOL! Don't borrow her car... just take it and ask for forgiveness afterward LOL!

CJCulpeper
07-12-2014, 05:31
Which relay are you scheduled for? I'm shooting Garand with Madsenshooter on Saturday morning. I'm shooting Vintage on Sunday afternoon, but I'll be there for the morning, as I'm going to try and get standby for the morning Relay. I hope I can meet you... and see your Winchester-Lee!

Next year, Paul! I should have everything tuned up and ready to roll by then.

CJCulpeper
07-12-2014, 05:33
The way things are going with my car, I'm going to have a hard time getting there! Parts are ordered, when they'll get here, who can say. But I may be able to borrow mom's car, if all else fails.

Yeah! Drive it like you stole it!. :)

psteinmayer
07-12-2014, 11:09
Next year, Paul! I should have everything tuned up and ready to roll by then.

Ahhhhhhh... I just noticed that your post said 2015, LOL! What the heck was I thinking?

madsenshooter
07-12-2014, 03:51
Well, my part ought to be in by then, since I just got the Fed Ex shipping notice! Paul, we'll have to see about the cast match. I've decided to slow way down, 16gr of 10B101, a high nitro flake powder that burns about Blue Dot speed. I'm hard pressed for any more shooting time with my car down, but I've got good accuracy with the powder using different bullets in the past. I should get 1500-1600 out of the 203gr, (just to be rid of them) and it should be close enough I can walk them in once shooting. Now I have to decide which scope to use, the 12x or the 24x.

psteinmayer
07-12-2014, 04:36
Truth be told... you'll probably smoke me in the cast match! I'm just hoping to get reasonable accuracy this time using the bench rest, instead of shouldering it - I'm just not that steady these days. It's going to be a really great time though...

madsenshooter
07-12-2014, 07:04
Do they still serve lunch? I'm all for eating on a budget!

psteinmayer
07-13-2014, 06:17
They don't, but what do you want? I can bring you a lunch. I'll be having tuna, but I can whip you up a sandwich or two... I got your back! By the way - everyone gets there around ten, and the match starts at 11:00.

madsenshooter
07-14-2014, 09:13
To get back to the subject, I wish I could afford one of the Lee Navy rifles. I've had some fun in the past with a tight twist (1/8) Obermeyer 5R barrel on a 6x45 AR. A larger case was what it needed.

jon_norstog
07-14-2014, 06:11
Paul,

when you make up that tuna salad sandwich ... and you need to slow down the competition a bit? Set the sandwiches on the shelf under the back window of your car for 6 hours or so. then serve. A tip from the BMX racing world.

jn

soldierofhistory1898
07-14-2014, 08:27
Hey guys! What has happened to Mark Daiute? He hasn't posted anything since probably in Feb. I talked to him at Perry last summer. Does anyone know if he's going to be there?

soldierofhistory1898
07-14-2014, 08:35
Hey there guys. Does anybody know what has become of Mark Daiute. He was one of the Krag shooters at Perry last year when I talked to him. I haven't read a post or comment from him since about last Feb. I hope nothing has happened to him.

Dick Hosmer
07-14-2014, 10:37
Had an email from him a couple of weeks ago - not sure I answered it, better check!!! :-(

psteinmayer
07-15-2014, 04:32
Paul,

when you make up that tuna salad sandwich ... and you need to slow down the competition a bit? Set the sandwiches on the shelf under the back window of your car for 6 hours or so. then serve. A tip from the BMX racing world.

jn

Yeah... I'll make a lot of friends that way too, LOL!!!

Dick Hosmer
07-15-2014, 07:19
Congratulations on the great pun, Jon - was it accidental or intentional?

CJCulpeper
07-16-2014, 09:15
To get back to the subject, I wish I could afford one of the Lee Navy rifles. I've had some fun in the past with a tight twist (1/8) Obermeyer 5R barrel on a 6x45 AR. A larger case was what it needed.

I would be saying the same thing if was not for all of the moola I have made over here for the last nine years. Geez it seems so long ago that I was just getting to Iraq and now it is just a dim memory.

I am thinking I would try the hornady 100 grain RN bullets that I picked up for the project. They are discontinued but I did manage to get eight boxes. I sure would like to get some 135 grain bullets so I could build the original loading.

What powder do you think I should use? I have a few pounds of Varget and a few more pounds of IMR 4064 waiting for me in the land of the all-night Wally World. There is not too much in the way of load data out there but some guys have posted their loads over the last dozen years on diffierent fourms. I have been collecting the data and I believe if I keep every thing way under 2000 fps the brass should be good to go for a while. From what I can tell the fellow who owned the brass reloaded them three or four times for a bolt gun that came down the family from his grandpa.

Bob S
07-16-2014, 10:16
I managed to pick up a few pieces of brass so I could shoot in the Vintage match.

Mine will function equally well with .220 swift cases simply necked up to 6mm; .220 swift cases necked up with bases turned to 6mm Lee dimensions; or the reformed 25-06 cases that Buffalo Arms sold. For clip loading, the simply necked up 220 Swift cases work the best because the rims are the same as the 30-06 basic case. Thanks to Winchester for this; when they chambered the Model 54/70 for the 220 Wotkyns (which was the 6MM Lee necked down to .22 and shortened), they didn't want to have to make a unique bolt face and extractor, so the .220 became a semi-rimmed case with a 30-06 size rim. I use Swedish Mauser chargers; the tits catch on the receiver rails, and there is enough room in the magazine to push the last round completely out of the charger.

My pressure excursion occurred with a Winchester 100 grain Power Point and a fairly moderate load of 4895. The same load with a Sierra 95 grain MK had no pressure issues. I have one original 6mm Lee cartidge, Rem-UMC. I noted that the bullet is tapered, there is virtually NO parallel mid-body. OTH, the Wincester PP has BEAUCOUP parallel midbody, IOW, lots and lots of bearing surface. So I think I might stay away from the modern 100 grain RN jacketed bullets and stick to the cast bullets for now. But I might try that 95 grain SMK again.
YMMV ....

Mark Daiute
07-19-2014, 06:03
Martk Daiute is staying home to get three crowns, as in crowned teeth but thanks for thinking of him. He was looking forward to the trip!

In all seriousness my dentist is doing three crowns for me and wants me staying close to home. The drive to Perry is better than getting root canals and crowns, trust me.

Mark Daiute
07-19-2014, 06:07
Martk Daiute is staying home to get three crowns, as in crowned teeth but thanks for thinking of him. He was looking forward to the trip!

In all seriousness my dentist is doing three crowns for me and wants me staying close to home. The drive to Perry is better than getting root canals and crowns, trust me.

psteinmayer
07-20-2014, 05:45
We sure missed seeing you this year Mark... Next year, we'll all take 'em by storm!