PDA

View Full Version : Later production 1903

jarrodeu
07-21-2014, 10:27
Here is one of my dad's 1903s. It is #1440968 and has an SA 12-17 barrel with an A (kept in service?). The bore is very good for being early WWI and the trigger is excellent. It appears to be a Remington stock without A3 cuts.
1. Is there an SRS hit or anything close?
2. When was the rifle rebuilt and by who?
3. There is a second smaller, non-circled P. Who would have added this and when?
4. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Jarrod

jarrodeu
07-21-2014, 10:28
Two more pictures.

Jarrod

Jeff L
07-21-2014, 04:13
It's interesting there are no re-arsenal marks.

Art
07-21-2014, 04:51
The rifle was almost surely built on a spare receiver using (mostly) parts from a low number rifle after its receiver was scrapped. This was a common practice. My money is that it was assembled in WWII but that's really just a SWAG.

Mike D
07-21-2014, 05:08
Very possible the barrel is original to the receiver. The stock is definitely not. I'm also questioning the finish on the receiver. It does not appear original.

No SRS hit.

Mike

Art
07-21-2014, 07:51
How would a 1917 barrel be original to a 1934 receiver? I realize anything is possible but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Randy A
07-21-2014, 09:31
It's not the original stock, rifle went through rebuild some time before it was put in that stock.

Mike D
07-22-2014, 05:23
How would a 1917 barrel be original to a 1934 receiver? I realize anything is possible but that seems incredibly unlikely.

The Army decided to scrap low number receivers that were turned in on rifles in 1928.

I am assuming a new receiver was used to replace one that was scrapped. Maybe it was not necessary rebuild the same number of rifles that were turned in? It was peacetime. I'm making more questions for myself.

Mike

chuckindenver
07-22-2014, 06:35
parts gun,
finish is not original, and not done by the U.S. military, stock is a 1903A3 Smith Corona, Bolt is a 1903A3 as well,
stock has also been refinished,
nothing wrong with the rifle, im sure it will be a great shooter..

John Beard
07-22-2014, 02:25
Here is one of my dad's 1903s. It is #1440968 and has an SA 12-17 barrel with an A (kept in service?). The bore is very good for being early WWI and the trigger is excellent. It appears to be a Remington stock without A3 cuts.
1. Is there an SRS hit or anything close?
2. When was the rifle rebuilt and by who?
3. There is a second smaller, non-circled P. Who would have added this and when?
4. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Jarrod

1. I'll let others research and answer that.
2. The original barreled receiver was assembled circa 1933 at Springfield Armory and used to replaced the barreled receiver of a low number rifle turned in for overhaul. The barreled receiver was subsequently field re-stocked and re-bolted during late WWII or perhaps by a subsequent civilian owner.
3. The smaller uncircled "P" is a Remington factory stock subinspection mark.
4. The "A" on the barrel is a common Springfield Armory marking from the WWI and immediate post-WWI period. The meaning of the "A" is unknown. The barrel was salvaged from a low number rifle turned in for overhaul sometime after 1927. The stock and handguard are from a Remington M1903 rifle manufactured in September, 1942, and have nice original finish.

And in response to Mike D's comments, each rifle turned in for overhaul eventually resulted in an overhauled rifle turned into Ordnance Stores. One in - One out! And if the (low number) receiver was scrapped, a new receiver was made to replace it.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Mike D
07-22-2014, 04:48
So in summary, a receiver of that serial range could have been assembled with an early '30's barrel into a "new" rifle with all new parts, or assembled with a used barrel that passed inspection, and other "OK" parts?

Were there technically "NEW" rifles being turned out up until a certain time? What year?

Mike

jarrodeu
07-22-2014, 09:20
Thanks again JB! Does the receiver finish look military to you?
Jarrod

Art
07-22-2014, 09:33
So in summary, a receiver of that serial range could have been assembled with an early '30's barrel into a "new" rifle with all new parts, or assembled with a used barrel that passed inspection, and other "OK" parts?

Were there technically "NEW" rifles being turned out up until a certain time? What year?

Mike

The production of the M1903 Service rifle effectively ended about 1927-28. Until the production of the Remington '03s replacements were assembled as per John Beard's post. Commercial rifles for the matches were still made though.

I also own one of these rifles I received from the C.M.P. The rifle has a 1930 receiver and a 1919 dated Avis barrel. Some of the parts are pre 1914. It has WWII Keystone "C" stock and a late production Remington bolt. This rifle was part of the same program mentioned by John beard.

John Beard
07-22-2014, 09:52

Mike

You are correct. The last new service rifles for military issue were assembled in 1927. The only new service rifles assembled after 1927 were for DCM sales. Production of almost all rifles parts, however, continued through 1939. The new parts, including barrels, receivers, barreled receivers, bolts, and stocks were used to replace scrapped parts on rifles turned in for overhaul. Some parts were used at Springfield Armory. Other parts were shipped out to various arsenals and depots in the Ordnance system for use in their overhaul activities.

Few "almost new" or "completely new" rifles were assembled from new parts after 1927. The overhauled rifles were a mixture of new parts and old parts, with some having more new parts than others.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

John Beard
07-22-2014, 09:59
Thanks again JB! Does the receiver finish look military to you?
Jarrod

I don't quite know what to make of the finish on the receiver. The finish does not look like a gunsmith refinish. My best guess is that the finish is one of two possibilities:

(1) A black enamel spray-painted finish applied over the original parkerizing by a previous civilian owner, or

(2) The original asphaltum finish applied over the parkerizing at Springfield Armory.

I am unable to distinguish which one it is.

Hope this helps.

J.B.