PDA

View Full Version : Replacement stocks and gooberment markings?

Stephan
07-25-2014, 07:07
Just a question about what markings would be found on a finger-groove S stock that originaly shipped as a replacement part for rebuilds?

I know that once installed on a musket the stock could/would receive any number of arsenal rebuild and property markings. I'm just curious what markings might a fresh from wrap GI 1903 rifle stock wear before being installed?

No...I don't have a brand-new GI finger-groove stock..nor know of a source for them!

John Beard
07-25-2014, 07:20
A field replacement USGI grasping-groove stock would have a small letter or number subinspection mark behind the trigger guard and a small letter subinspection mark in the cutoff recess.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Stephan
07-26-2014, 08:16
Thanks...it certainly does help. It's just a 'curious' thing for me. I am working on a couple 'grasping-groove' stocks....one that came on a rifle and another I ordered from Sarco...neither one has much for legible original markings. No wrist 'P'...no ordinance wheels...one has a very faint inspector's cartouche(large square two tier style) right up against the rear stock-bolt.

I had thought the inspector's stamp located approx. where you might expect the ordinance wheel to be could be indicative of a replacement stock. However thinking about it..my logic is faulty. Rifles get inspected and stamped I imagine...new replacement stocks when they are assembled