PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice from those who actively collect bayonets

JBMauser
07-29-2014, 06:17
My fever to collect bayonets has waned years ago so I have lost market perspective. I have one that I never really liked and thought it was a crude home made job but have found out it is in Fact a real deal Type 30 variant made by

Hoten / Mukden Arms Manufacturing, spear “bayonet”, (civilian defense force).

This info was found at the excellent website Old-Smithy.info. I am getting ready to put it on eBay and have no clue to list it for $90 or $400 as it seems to be rare compared to Army issue. But it is UGLY. Only a collector would want it. I ask for advice in finding places that sell such bayonets on the net so I can at least get an idea of a comp price or a dealer to offer it to. Thanks for any ideas, advice or direction. JB

dave
07-29-2014, 11:38
I understand they are very rare, so I doubt you can find any for sale at any given monent, or month for that matter. If he does not see this, address post to GaumSST on guntalk forum this site, big time jap collector.

porterkids
08-05-2014, 01:47
You can try to do a completed auction search on ebay to see if any have sold recently. Or you can appeal to the members of some of the bayonet forums to see what they might tell you. I like it when forum members offer items to other members, but you have to establish a price to do that. Putting it on ebay gives you worldwide exposure, so if it is a scarce or rare piece there should be plenty of interest and your starting price is not that important.

1mark
08-11-2014, 06:34
One sold on ebay for $71.00. Here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-WW2-JAPANESE-TYPE-30-MUKDEN-HOTEN-BAYONET-W-SCABBARD-OCCUPIED-MANCHURIA-/181472618799?nma=true&si=JJ1L%252Fz0sC1qNHEwU1p%252BQzrsILWo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

dave
08-12-2014, 04:54
That is not what he is asking about. Auction shows a early well made Jap bayo, in poor condition. I think he refers to nothing more then a blade which was meant to be attached to a pole and used by civilians to fight off invasion.

1mark
08-12-2014, 11:37
Woops my bad. I keyed in on Type 30 and was thinking bayonet.

Guamsst
08-12-2014, 07:45
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. I have been busy lately and haven't been on the page in a while.

First, PHOTOS are a must.

What you described sounds like a "Pole bayonet". There are a few variations. The most common variation was $600 a year ago and now they are about $350. Only a sale can actually show what the value is. Ebay has been a very soft market lately and I have quit listing "good" items due to low sales. A rare item may still go through the roof, even above reasonable value though......or you may get zilch. Best bet is a high starting price and a longer than normal auction time.

Guamsst
08-12-2014, 07:50
This one sold for $1,500 over a year ago. I would think a Mukden made pole bayonet would still fetch more than $600.....but, as I said, it could go any direction right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2-Japanese-Mukden-Pole-Bayonet-Type-30-Very-Rare-/200997301382?nma=true&si=EJfI6OoEMGJxfDFvBboNvXHpIfQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557