PDA

View Full Version : Odd markings

meterman
07-30-2014, 12:09
I have a WW2 straight grip stock, no finger grooves. There is a small s, 1/8",on its side, stamped on the forend. An inch or so to the left of the forward recoil bolt is stamped in 1/8" numbers '22.' To the left of the magazine cut-off about an inch is the date '1958.' In the usual cartouche area to the right of the rear recoil bolt is 'R.R.A.' in 3/8" block numerals. (I know what that means.) The proof P is plain block, no serifs, inside a 3/8" square. No other marks are visible. It appears to be cut for the old 03 rear sight fixture. There is a slanting cut on the right side for a swept-back bolt handle, in the proper position, just behind the rear recoil bolt. This cut looks professionally done, and not the work of some amateur. It looks as aged as the rest of the inletting.

This thing also had a piece cut out for a receiver sight, I believe, just forward of the bolt cut. To my eye it appears that no rifle was ever drawn up into this stock. It had lain up in the attic of a local gunsmith's garage for many, many years. It was covered in dirt and bird poop, so I scrubbed most of that off and sent the stock out to the Stock Doc to refinish and repair the cut for the sight. He did his usual magnificent work, and one has to look hard to see where the peep sight cut was spliced in.

I friend of mine told me that he did not think that this stock was cut for an 03A4. I don't know myself, and hate to sell it as such.

Any ideas as to what this oddball may be? It is almost too pretty to sell, with only a couple of hickeys on it.

Thanks,
Jim

Jeff L
07-30-2014, 01:05
Can you post pics? Pic = 1000 words.

chuckindenver
07-30-2014, 04:16
wouldnt be an A4.. that would be a scant or C stock.. someone just cut it for a turned down bolt handle..

John Beard
07-30-2014, 04:30
Based on your description, I am unable to identify your stock. But I agree with chuckindenver that the stock is not an M'03-A4 stock. I assume the stock is inletted for the M'03-A3 barrel guard ring. I, therefore, assume that the stock is a late WWII M'03-A3 field replacement stock. Both Remington and American Bowling and Billiard made spare field replacement straight-grip stocks during WWII.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

meterman
07-31-2014, 01:21
Hi JB,

It is indeed cut for the 03A3 barrel ring. I overlooked that. Also cut for the rear sight fixture of the 03. Thanks.

meterman
07-31-2014, 01:22
I have pics that I sent to this kid, but I don't know how to post them. Computer illiterate, you see. If you want, I can send them to you.