PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Krag S/N question

jon_norstog
08-10-2014, 12:02
Just got back from the Oregon Arms Collectors show - it was close enough to ride my bike plus I met up with one of the regulars from the list. Quite a few Krags including at least one reasonably-priced rifle. Also an 1898 carbine with the original sight (???) and a couple I guess they were school guns with 24" barrels and bayonet lugs. Again (???). I did find a sporterized Norwegian Krag S/N 14141XX. In good condition, price OK. I got the dealer's card and might buy it. Any ideas out there on year of manufacture?

TIA

jn

coastie
08-10-2014, 12:57
I also am interested.
Got a ....some Krags. My foreign ones now outnumber my U.S. ones.

Show me the build dates!

Thanks, Paul

coastie
08-10-2014, 12:57
[And a source for 8x58DR ammo!!!]

Parashooter
08-10-2014, 02:17
There must be some mistake; Norway didn't use any Roman numerals in Krag serials ("XX").

jon_norstog
08-11-2014, 06:59
I think that was during a brief occupation by one of the alae of the 9th Legion. Coastie, I've heard you can make a reasonable copy of the 8 x 58 R shell out of US 45-70 cases.

jn

Bob S
08-11-2014, 11:49
My Norwegian carbine is dated on the receiver ring. Yours is not ... ?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

ranger66
08-11-2014, 01:47
According to Hanevik's book, the rifles with numbers from 13579 - 14278, was given to DR 1. (Dragonregiment 1). This was a cavalry unit. The rifles was originally m/1912 carbines.

jon_norstog
08-12-2014, 07:54
Thanks Mr. Ranger I was hoping you would weigh in. This weapon had six digit S/N (1414XX) and i saw no date stamp on the ring. I thought it might be a cut down infantry rifle - there was no stock hardware left except for the buttplate. But the action looked almost new! I found an Italian site that had Krag S/N and it seemed to indicate this might have been made in 1920.

jn

ranger66
08-12-2014, 04:09
I'm not surprised that ther are some Norwegian Krag's for sale in the US. After ww2 the inventory of the Norwegian army was a mess, with Krags, Mausers, Enfields, p14 and p17, and Garands, all in different calibers. They decided to standardize on the 30-06. They did an exchange with the british, so they got all 303 rifles, and all Mausers were converted to 30-06. When it comes to the Krag, the evaluation after ww2 showed that had worked surprisingly well. For some time they considered strengthening the mechanism and rechambering it to 30-06. This was meant to be done by lengthening the bolt with 2 cm and adding 2 frontal locking lugs. This was to lock into a "cup" which was screwed down where the barrel is fastened, and then the barrel is screwed down into this again. Tests showed that you could double the chamber pressure without problems, this way. It even got patented, but it was never carried out. There was lots of surplus Mausers around, and Garands was offered cheaply as part of the Marshal aid. some 15 years later Norway got their domestic production of the g3 rifle anyway. The result of this was that The Krag was sold out to civillians, and to the shooters association, the DFS. The home guard used it for some time but eventually it was phased out there too. Around 15 000 was bought by American and Canadian arms dealers, and most of them was sold in the US.

coastie
09-06-2014, 07:38
Jon,
need to start with 45-90 cases.
Then you Shape them, then you "thin" the forward part of the rim to specification,
the you hope the conversion is.......short story, gave up.
Now if I won the lottery and took a Uropean tour........