PDA

View Full Version : M1922 M1 with a B stock question

1mark
08-11-2014, 04:51
I am going to look at a M1922 M1 in the serial number range 15,xxx that is suppose to have a B stock on it. Any input would be great. I did not know if the combination is correct. I thought they only had C stocks.

Kragrifle
08-12-2014, 05:11
C stock refers to long stock with pistol grip used for 1903 30 cal rifles. They were never used on 22 cal rifles. B stock refers to the issue stock with the high comb and pronounced pistol grip (same grip and the NB National Match). Two standard versions of the 1922M1 exist. One has the NRA stock, similar to the 30 cal sporter stock. The other stock is the "B" stock. You will often find these B stocks that have the pistol grip shaved off to look more like the later M2 stocks.
Love these 22 cal rifles!

1mark
08-17-2014, 02:25
Ok I think it is a B stock. I measured the B stock and it is larger the the pistol grip stock. There are no signs of wood being added to the butt stock.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/A303A897EB3B5E4

Chaz
08-25-2014, 04:42
Top stock in photo is the "B" version.

Kragrifle
08-26-2014, 04:53
Actually, both are the B stock version. The bottom stock has had the pronounced pistol grip shaved off. I guess this was done to make it more like the later M2 stock, although the difference is still obvious with the much shorter comb on the altered B stock. Altered b stock will be found on all sorts of reworked 22 Springfield rifles. And just to add to the trivia, there are two styles of B stocks out there. The early B stock will have the hole cut for the oiler with a trap in the buttplate that is the same buttplate for the National Match 30 cal rifles. Around 6000 serial number range the trap was omitted. So, you will actually find four different versions or the B stock if you so inclined.

Tom in N.J.
08-29-2014, 11:15
IIRC the "B' stock was the 'issue" stock, used by the services for training duty. The NRA stock was the "sales' stock used on those rifles sold to clubs and individual NRA members.

Chaz
08-29-2014, 01:19
"Actually, both are the B stock version..." You are correct, the butt plate and dropped comb are not from an NRA (sporter style) stock. But the "issue stock" on my M2 is not a B stock. It appears just as pictured above with NRA (not B) pistol grip and grasping grooves.