PDA

View Full Version : Slide stop malfunction

Major Tom
09-06-2014, 02:23
I installed a Wilson Combat extended slide stop in my ATI Gov. Model 45acp. While firing, occasionally the slide stop would engage the slide and lock it open. Manually working the slide everything is OK. What could be wrong? Thank you for your reply.

da gimp
09-06-2014, 02:36
place it beside your original Colt SS (? on colt), compare & measure it to see if you can find any differences on it........ something must be taller... etc, if you are also using the same magazines & does it happen with all your mags?

Scott Wilson
09-06-2014, 04:14
Depending on your firing grip, your thumb may be the culprit. If that is eliminated, check the plunger detent to see if it is deep enough.

Major Tom
09-07-2014, 02:05
On examination with a loaded magazine, I found the nose of the bullet hitting the slide stop. I will correct that. Also, where to find a stronger detent spring?

joem
09-07-2014, 04:10
Maybe try Brownells or Midway.

Col. Colt
09-07-2014, 09:46
Extended slide stop levers are not really a good idea. The extra mass of the lever, and sometimes dimensional differences (like the lug size) usually lead to premature lock open, as can thumb contact. I would never recommend one, and would remove it if it came to me on a used gun in trade, as all of my handguns are used for defensive carry. With proper technique, they serve no function.

Correct modern technique in handling a 1911 - as practiced by Special Ops troops, SWAT trained police officers, etc, is to NEVER use the slide stop to close the slide. As a "fine motor skill" it is slower and more easily botched than the preferred method - which is to seat the new magazine, roll the non-firing hand over the top of the pistol, grasp the slide grooves (thumb pointing to the rear), pull the slide all the way to the rear and release. This also gives the slide a full run and maximum spring force to strip off the top round and chamber it, which thumbing the slide stop does not. You will note that the part is called a "Slide Stop", not a "Slide Release". On Glocks they are vestigial, as Glock does not expect them to be used to release the slide except administratively (non-firing handling) - only to lock it open.

A lot of makers still sell the extended stops for the same reason they sell full length guide rods - people buy them because they seem to make sense (but they don't!), but you will never see one installed on a serious Operator's weapon, nor are they popular with top competitors for the reasons stated. Looks logical, but works poorly in practice. I have a very nice Pachmayer in my Armorer's box that had the same problems as yours back in the 1970's - and reminds me when I look at it that some changes are NOT improvements. CC

ignats
09-07-2014, 11:44
Most aftermarket stuff I've dealt with really doesn't work or provides no real advantage. I see more posts about people who add items to their pistols and then have all sorts of headaches with them. Drop in pieces can be troublesome as the tolerances are usually out of spec with the gun they are being used in. Over the years I've tried a variety of them only to toss them in the parts box or sell them on eBay.

Bill E
09-16-2014, 05:22
Thanks Col. Colt, good advise to heed.

Major Tom
09-16-2014, 07:13
I solved the malfunction. My reloads were a tad too long. Seated the bullets .100 deeper. Jacketed hollow points do OK. Thank you for your replies.